My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Herschel Wedge for Luna

Started by Steve Stonehill, 12/23/2011 10:21AM
Posted 12/23/2011 10:21AM Opening Post
Hi All,

During the last full moon I tried my wedge on the moon for the first time. I was using a 120mm refractor and binoviewers and all I can say is WOW!!! If you have a wedge and have yet to try it on the moon you're in for a treat. The brightness is not the least bit uncomfortable and the contrast is fantastic. Although I haven't tried it I think that a Herschel wedge would be useable in an SCT or a Mak for moon viewing.

Clear Skies and Happy Holidays!
Posted 12/23/2011 03:25PM #1
What's a "Herschel Wedge" and where would you get one?

NexStar 8i SCT, Orion 80ED APO refractor, Orion 120 mm EQ refractor, 3.5-inch Questar
Posted 12/24/2011 07:02AM #2
Steve Stonehill said:

Hi All,

During the last full moon I tried my wedge on the moon for the first time. I was using a 120mm refractor and binoviewers and all I can say is WOW!!! If you have a wedge and have yet to try it on the moon you're in for a treat. The brightness is not the least bit uncomfortable and the contrast is fantastic. Although I haven't tried it I think that a Herschel wedge would be useable in an SCT or a Mak for moon viewing.

Clear Skies and Happy Holidays!

If the Moon seems a little on the bright side, I just PUMP UP THE POWER and drink in more detail. Of course that doesn't always work for those who live in seeing-challenged areas. wink

For the novices out there: the Moon, no matter how bright she seems, will NOT damge your eyesight.

Uncle Rod

Time on your hands?
Waste it with Uncle Rod's Astro Blog!

http://uncle-rods.blogspot.com/