July New Moon Spotting

Started by curtrenz, 06/30/2008 03:03PM
Posted 06/30/2008 03:03PM Opening Post
Who will be the first to spot the July New Moon with naked eyes after sunset? The Dark Moon will be in geocentric longitudinal conjunction with the Sun on 2008 JUL 03 at 02:19 UT (JUL 02 at 21:19 CDT). North Americans will have a fine opportunity to sight a Moon aged about 24 hours. Venus might serve as an aid. In the coming months early New Moon spotting will become more difficult as the twilight ecliptic tilts toward a less favorable position.

I’ve created a graphic previewing the west-northwestern sky as viewed from Chicagoland 25 minutes after sunset on July 3, although it should well serve most North Americans. The Moon will be visible about 6° to the upper left of Venus. The graphic can be seen by clicking: http://www.curtrenz.com/astronomical.html

Photos or descriptions of the July New Moon would be welcome additions to this thread. Please include the date, time, time zone and location. Good Luck!

Below is a photo I took on 2007 JUL 15 of the Moon aged 38:05 hrs.

For astronomical graphics, including
monthly wallpaper calendar, visit:
CurtRenz.com/astronomical

Curt Renz
Posted 07/04/2008 02:53AM #1
I captured the 1.3% illuminated crescent Moon aged 23:49 hrs on 2008 JUL 03 at 21:08 CDT. That was 37 minutes after sunset and 18 minutes before moonset at Arlington Heights, Illinois. Below is the photo with the Moon toward the right and just above the clouds.

For astronomical graphics, including
monthly wallpaper calendar, visit:
CurtRenz.com/astronomical

Curt Renz