M27 - 12 LX200R

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

June New Moon Spotting

Started by curtrenz, 06/02/2008 10:08AM
Posted 06/02/2008 10:08AM Opening Post
Who will be the first to spot the June New Moon with naked eyes after sunset? The Dark Moon will be in geocentric longitudinal conjunction with the Sun on 2008 JUN 03 at 19:23 UT (14:23 CDT). The first opportunity for North Americans to sight it will occur during the evening of June 4 while aged about 30 hours.

I’ve created a graphic previewing the western sky as viewed from Chicagoland 25 minutes after sunset on June 4, although it should well serve most North Americans. It can be seen by clicking: http://www.curtrenz.com/astronomical.html

Photos or descriptions of the June New Moon would be welcome additions to this thread. Please include the date, time, time zone and location. Good Luck!

Below is a photo I took on 2007 JUL 15 of the Moon aged 38:05 hrs.

For astronomical graphics, including
monthly wallpaper calendar, visit:
CurtRenz.com/astronomical

Curt Renz
Posted 06/04/2008 09:02PM #1
Summertime scud clouds were sweeping across the western sky this evening as seen from Arlington Heights, Illinois. Momentarily the veil got thin enough for me to get the shot seen below. It was taken on 2008 JUN 04 at 21:02 CDT when the Moon was aged 30:39 hrs. That was 38 minutes after sunset and 60 minutes before moonset.

For astronomical graphics, including
monthly wallpaper calendar, visit:
CurtRenz.com/astronomical

Curt Renz