May New Moon Spotting

Started by curtrenz, 05/21/2009 03:33PM
Posted 05/21/2009 03:33PM Opening Post
Who will be the first to spot the May New Moon with naked eyes after sunset? The Dark Moon will be in geocentric longitudinal conjunction with the Sun on 2009 MAY 24 at 12:11 UT (07:11 CDT).

We’re still in that portion of the year which is favorable for spotting a really young Moon from the northern hemisphere. It’s possible that some North Americans will observe a slim crescent Moon on May 24, especially from the west coast. Most of us will have to wait until the following evening.

I’ve created two graphics previewing the western sky from Chicagoland shortly after sunset on May 24 and 25, although they should well serve most North American observers. They can be seen by clicking: http://www.curtrenz.com/astronomical.html

Photos and descriptions of the May New Moon would be welcome additions to this thread. Please include the date, time, time zone and location. Good Luck!

Below is a photo I took from Arlington Heights, Illinois on 2007 MAR 19 of the Moon aged 21:45 hours, which is the youngest I’ve seen it.

For astronomical graphics, including
monthly wallpaper calendar, visit:
CurtRenz.com/astronomical

Curt Renz
Posted 05/26/2009 05:31PM #1
My wife and I had a late dinner at a restaurant on Monday evening. The meal took a lot longer than it should have and when we finally got outside the young crescent Moon was one of the very first things I noticed.

Dave Mitsky

Chance favors the prepared mind.

De gustibus non est disputandum.