M42

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

rukl atlas

Started by roofy, 04/03/2008 12:23PM
Posted 04/03/2008 12:23PM Opening Post
Hello all. I'm wondering if anyone can help me. I've got a Hamlyn version of Rukl's Moon atlas and am trying to find out if is has any value in the astronomical community at large. Does anyone know how I can tell? Thanks, Sharon
Posted 04/05/2008 11:52PM #1
Sharon Bourgeois said:I've got a Hamlyn version of Rukl's Moon atlas and am trying to find out if is has any value in the astronomical community at large.
The original English language edition of Antonín Rükl's Atlas of the Moon was published by Paul Hamlyn Publishing, London, in 1990 and was quite well received by amateur astronomers. See the book review by John E. Westfall of the ALPO on page 404 of the April 1992 issue of Sky & Telescope. Before the revised edition was published by Sky Publishing Corporation in 2004, the Hamlyn edition apparently became out of print and was fetching exorbitant prices in the used book resale market. Although the revised edition updated the original one and made some changes in it, including updates to some of the lunar nomenclature, the core contents of both editions are Rükl's 76 magnificent maps of the moon, and I see no reason why the Hamlyn edition would not continue to be useful to any devoted lunar observer. Just don't expect to be able to sell it for the prices that prevailed before 2004.

NexStar 8i SCT, Orion 80ED APO refractor, Orion 120 mm EQ refractor, 3.5-inch Questar