My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Jupiter Drawing 11.20.02

Started by Sol R., 11/20/2002 04:01AM
Posted 11/20/2002 04:01AM Opening Post
Hi,
This morning presented excellent seeing conditions. 8-9/10. Though I spent most of my time observing Saturn,,(incredible at 375x and a little less so at 428x).

Jupiter is just starting to show activity that's easy to hold visually. Probably because its
apparent size is growing. In 3 or 4 weeks Jupiter will be approx. 3/4 of the way to its largest apparent size.

Attached is a drawing of Jupiter I made from this observing session.

Sol Robbins

Attached Image:

Sol R.'s attachment for post 2342
Posted 11/20/2002 06:47AM #1
Great detail on the bands... I haven't had a clear night in like 4 months sad ... at least not clear enough to push the power up on the scope.
Posted 11/20/2002 09:56AM #2
Sol,

Congratulations on an excellent observation of Jupiter. Please note the increased activity over the North Equatorial Belt (NEB), lower thick belt. Many bright (white) ovals and festoons are visible in Sol's drawing. Observations such as this show the value of visual observations for recording features on the planets. The best of both worlds would be a visual observation and an image of the planet made at the same time. This would allow a direct comparison of interesting features on the planet. I look forward to your future observations.

Carlos