Image of the day

From the
ATWB Customer Gallery

Large prominence 10/22/2020

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Poll

2020 President - NO COMMENTS (take to Politics Forum)

Results
Previous Polls

Need Help?

Jupiter on 02/22/03 with 10" Meade LX-200

Started by power_overwhelming, 02/23/2003 08:48PM
Posted 02/23/2003 08:48PM Opening Post
Hi folks I have some observing to share with you. On Saturday I setup my big rig LX-200 for some serous deepsky observing as it was the first day that the moon was truly out of the way. Anyone want to guess on what happened next? Yup the clouds rolled in. Well I was just about to give up but since the clouds where quite thin I decided to get a quick look at the planets. The view was not all that impressive so I got a bit lazy and decided to go watch some TV and hope that the clouds would clear. Came out about 1.5 hours later and it was evident that there where still some very thin and high clouds but I still decided to take another look at Jupiter before I packed up. Man am I happy that I did. That night I seen the best I have ever seen Jupiter. The night was far from steady but somehow once every few seconds the seeing would get real good. This usually does not happen so I don’t know what was going on. Anyway the attached sketch is what I drew out of memory and not at the scope. Just a little description of the details that I saw: A: the top portion of the planed had a very light brown color to it. No detail seen here. B: the whit portion was also featureless except for a few moments when the seeing cleared and I "think" I saw some stuff there but not sure. C: I don’t know what the deal is with this belt but I just could not pick up much detail in it. E: Probably was the most impressive belt of them all because I could actually see any little festoons in it. It was mixed in with belt F. The festoons where at the right portion of the belt and I think I counted about 4 "large" ones in the belt all in a single row. G: this belt in moments of very good seeing had a lot of detail in it but it is hard to describe it all so I won’t. This was the first time that I have seen the GRS actually kind of red. It was more like orange but a lot better then the usual skin color. H: Two small belts that where not stretched across the entire planet. J: This white area showed some detain in moments of good seeing like little belts but I was not sure. K: The bottom tip was like the top. I used ~178x(14mm Meade UWA). A little background about my experience in observing and drawing: I can’t draw. :-) As you can probably see. I'm trying to get some practice before Mars rolls around. Observing wise I mainly do deepsky: Nebulas and GC mainly. Planets only when the moon is out but even then as you all know most of the time the seeing sucks.

Attached Image:

power_overwhelming's attachment for post 4043
Posted 02/23/2003 09:26PM #1
Say, that's a very nice sketch Vladmir and a great detail report! My 4" TV-102 was also out on Saturday night with a fine view after the fog lifted.

Here's the pointer to the nomenclature of the Jupiter.
http://home.fiam.net/ericj/jupiter_color.html
http://www.roboticobservatory.com/jeff/observing/jov_nom/

Ron B[ee]
Posted 02/23/2003 10:00PM #2
Vladimir,

Thank you for sharing your Jupiter observation with us. Your description of the Jovian features you observed were very useful. You actually picked up a lot of detail during your observing session. It appears that the high cirrus clouds indicated a smooth air steam flow over your observing site.

The following are my notes on your observaton;
A (North Polar Region (NPR): Normally appears dull (5/10) and under good seeing conditions contains small (white) ovals and dark condensations.
B (North Temperate Zone (NTZ) to North Tropical Zone (NTrZ): Normally contains the thin and, usually, dark belt, the North Temperate Belt (NTB). This apparition only sections of the belt are visible depending upon the longitude presented to the observer.
C (North Equatorial Belt (NEB): A prominent belt which may contain dark barges along it's northern border and blue festoons along the southern border.
D (Equatorial Zone): A bright mid-section of the planet which contains bright ovals as well as dark condensations and festoons.
E and F (South Equatorial Belt, Northern component (SEB-N): Normally a dark and thin component of the larger belt. Festoons do not normally arise from this belt, except when noted in the late 1800's.
G and H (South Equatorial Belt, Southern component): Normally the most prominent belt over the planet. May contain bright segments (rifts) as well as dark condensations (or "clumps", many noted lately along it's southern border).
Great Red Spot (GRS): As you point out not always the infamous red color. This apparition it has darkened a bit to an orange-reddish color as you noted. A dark condensation at it's center may give it the appearance of an "eye looking back."
I (South Temperate Belt (STB): Normally a dark and thin belt which may contain the large bright oval BA.
J and K (South Polar Region (SPR): Normlly a dull region containing thin bright zones and dark belts. Many small bright ovals have been observed over this region during the current apparition.

I hope that these notes help you better understand what you observed. I look forward to more of your observations in the future.

Carlos