Mar.6, 2003 Saturn & Jupiter

Started by go_ahead_ed, 03/07/2003 07:09PM
Posted 03/07/2003 07:09PM Opening Post
11" SCT
14mm, 12mm & 10mm eyepieces, medium blue filter

I haven't been able to observe lately due to weather and other priorities but I was able to get the scope out last night. Weather was clear, calm & comfortable with slightly above average seeing. E & F components of Trapezium easily seen @ 156x.

At 280x the A ring was gray-blue in color with the Encke Minima popping into view half the time. The Cassini division looked to be visible all the way around but that may have been an illusion. It has a definite "width" to it at higher powers. It seemed to pass tangentially to the South Pole and the shadow cast by Saturn on the rings was very sharp. The B ring showed differences in color, texture & brightness as one went towards the inside edge. The C ring was obvious where it passed in front of the planet but less so away from that location. I've noticed that its appearance is affected by more than just "seeing" conditions. Maybe transparency is an issue too....

I found the best views were had without any filters on Saturn last night, which is usually the case for me.

Jupiter looked a bit better than usual, supporting 280x rarely but 233x fairly consistently. Ganymede & Io were definite disks, with Io looking a bit yellowish. Lots of irregularities and details in the equatorial belts, with two dark bars or barges in the northern? eq belt. The northern & southern polar cap areas appeared striated at times. I didn't stay out long enough to see the GRS move into view :-(

The view of Jupiter was improved slightly with a medium blue filter.

Ed Moran
Equipment Forum Moderator - Two of Five
Posted 03/07/2003 07:18PM #1
Ed,

Thank you for your observation notes on Jupiter and Saturn. I am glad that you experienced a good night of seeing.

Which eyepieces were you using for your observation?

The best of luck in your future observations.

Carlos