Mars in 2005

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Ritchey Chretien for Planets

Started by Thomas Marshall, 12/08/2014 01:00AM
Posted 12/08/2014 01:00AM Opening Post
I am seeing some AT6RC or equivalent Ritchey Chretien scopes with incredibly fine photo's at really nice prices. Everything I read about these scopes sounds good, BUT they stress that these are designed for astrophotography. The resolution I see in photo's amazes me and my Question is does this fine performance of resolution and color fidelity translate across the board to planetary/terrestrial/VISUAL use?? I am considering purchase, but I only do visual work, and don't want to purchase something that is weak in this regard. Thanks Thomas Marshall
Posted 12/09/2014 08:20AM #1
Thomas Marshall said:

I am seeing some AT6RC or equivalent Ritchey Chretien scopes with incredibly fine photo's at really nice prices. Everything I read about these scopes sounds good, BUT they stress that these are designed for astrophotography. The resolution I see in photo's amazes me and my Question is does this fine performance of resolution and color fidelity translate across the board to planetary/terrestrial/VISUAL use?? I am considering purchase, but I only do visual work, and don't want to purchase something that is weak in this regard. Thanks Thomas Marshall

An RC can do _OK_ for visual. But it will be limited as to what it can do on the Solar System due to the large central obstruction which lessens contrast. IOW, OK, but not a good choice specifically for looking at planets. wink

Uncle Rod

Time on your hands?
Waste it with Uncle Rod's Astro Blog!

http://uncle-rods.blogspot.com/