Image of the day

From the
ATWB Customer Gallery

IC 5070 + NGC 7000

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Poll

2020 President - NO COMMENTS (take to Politics Forum)

Results
Previous Polls

Need Help?

Saturn 2.05.03

Started by Sol R., 02/06/2003 12:01AM
Posted 02/06/2003 12:01AM Opening Post
Hi,

Had good seeing conditions. Tonight's Saturn observation revealed some blotches on both sides of the B ring. This is the first time I've seen these. Additionally, Saturn's cast shadow has returned.

The moons Dione, Tethys, Enceladus and Rhea also stood out pretty well

Thanks, Sol Robbins

Attached Image:

Sol R.'s attachment for post 3635
Posted 02/06/2003 09:26AM #1
Sol,

A beautiful sketch of Saturn showing many interesting features. The "dark splotches" over ring B are interesting and may actually represent segments of radial spokes. The drawing does have a 3D feeling to it as Russel points out. I look forward to your future observations.

Carlos
Posted 02/06/2003 03:22PM #2
Sol,

I saw hints of those blotches the last time I sketched Saturn, but not so clearly. (almost wrote Sauron, hmm...) :-) It's amazing what can see when the seeing is that good.

Greg

"Though parted by a gulf more impassable than any sea, the telescope lets us traverse what otherwise had been barred and lands us at last above the shores we went forth to seek. Real the journey is, though incorporeal in kind. Since the seeing strange sights is the essence of all far wanderings, it is as truly tavel so the eye arrive as if the body kept it company." Pervcival Lowell