Jupiter (clearer) Nov 5th 2023 w/Mewlon 180c

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Saturn Ring Observations

Started by Kevin, 12/29/2006 09:01PM
Posted 12/29/2006 09:01PM Opening Post
There is a very timely and updated presentation of the latest Cassini observations of Saturn's rings in Feb S&T. I find it interesting that there are multiple high resolution images and reports of historical observations but no mention of an "Encke minima". I have been an avid observer for quite a number of years, and have always been baffled by notes or comments on ring observations. Folks have shot pictures of the Encke or claimed to have made observations only to be told that they have NOT and only observed the "minima". I would think that if one were to believe hints or evidence at the ansai of the division were actually the minima that higher resolution Earth based images would easily capture it.

Now I have also heard that it is all nomenclature and that folks that speak of the minima are referring to the encke division rather than the division at the extreme of the ring system better known as the keeler gap. But the keeler gap cannot be imaged or viewed by any earth based means. Only by cassini type imaging.

So what is this the latest opinions of this feature or observation that is supposed to be seen before the encke division can be hoped for? I wish I knew as I have seen a couple times the same feature I see photographed but have searched in vain for the "minima". Is it a small (as in ameteur)scope phenomina or illusion or a physical feature?

Kevin

Posted 12/29/2006 11:30PM #1
Kevin,

Check out the picture in this post from a discussion some time ago.

http://www.astromart.com/forums/viewpost.asp?forum_post_id=437156&poll_id=&news_id=&page=

happy holidays,
dan

Posted 12/31/2006 03:13AM #2
Hi Kevin,

There is a really good description of the Encke Minima and Encke Division are on Eric Jamison's webpage -

http://members.leapmail.net/~ericj/encke.html

Thanks
Bill