Jupiter (clearer) Nov 5th 2023 w/Mewlon 180c

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Venus in the Daytime

Started by rKGMzvFT5gL3s9, 06/03/2012 09:35PM
Posted 06/03/2012 09:35PM Opening Post
I observed the extremely thin crescent Venus earlier today in the day sky. This is just two days before the historic transit of Venus on June 5th.

I used a Celestron CPC1100 goto scope to locate Venus. In preparation, I aligned the scope and last night and set it on hibernate. I was able to switch the telescope off and restart it today.

Venus was surprisingly easy to spot. I didn't expect the crescent to have much contrast against the bright background sky, but it resembled white cord of brightness gradually fading at either end. At times I was able discern nearly an entire circle of illumination. Venus was still a few degrees from the sun, and I was careful not to get an accidental glimpse of the sun.

I have located Venus in the day before, but never with a goto scope and with Venus so close to the sun. This was a lot of fun. Thanks.

Michael Aaron McNeely
TeleVue Forum Moderator
Astromart.com
Posted 06/04/2012 01:05PM #1
Wow, you are braver than me with it being so close to ole Sol!

I love catching it in the daytime with binos. I've taken them to work (college campus) and will catch it at lunch sometimes and people look at me like I'm nuts staring at the clear blue sky. No birds or trees anywhere close, yet I'm staring all the same.