What's up with Mars?

Started by scifidude, 08/30/2018 01:18AM
Posted 08/30/2018 01:18AM Opening Post
Observing here on the East coast has been pretty much non-existent for the whole of August with record setting storms/cloud cover/rain.
I was going to set up my ES127 tonight for some tests of a PoleMaster and some quick views of Mars but I haven't seen any news of what's going on with the planet-wide dust storm.
Is it still raging on or is it possible to see some surface detail.
Any of you lucky guys in the south west know?

Thanks.
Weiman Kissinger
Posted 10/14/2020 03:09AM #1
Originally Posted by Weiman Kissinger
Observing here on the East coast has been pretty much non-existent for the whole of August with record setting storms/cloud cover/rain.
I was going to set up my ES127 tonight for some tests of a PoleMaster and some quick views of Mars but I haven't seen any news of what's going on with the planet-wide dust storm.
Is it still raging on or is it possible to see some surface detail.
Any of you lucky guys in the south west know?

Thanks.
Weiman Kissinger
Hi Weiman,
                I have not observed since April and I heard that Mars was close as it was way back in the early 2000's, and I did notice a bright "star" out of place on Sunday night so I figured on Monday I'll give a look.  
 Anyway to answer your question is it possible to see surface detail   YES YES, it's as big as Jupiter in the eyepiece and as bright so if you need to use filters or even stop down the scope you will have a jewel in the sky and be able to the polar ice cap as well.  It is also high in the sky so resolution is aided the higher up it is and this is as high as it's been.  No matter what you have it will reveal detail. 

Regards,
Greg