Image of the day

Captured by
Terry Wood

Jupiter (clearer) Nov 5th 2023 w/Mewlon 180c

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Heading to Stellafane ? Are gas prices affecting .

Started by gslak, 07/07/2008 03:46PM
Posted 07/07/2008 03:46PM Opening Post
Hello just wondering how many people are planning on heading to Stellafane this year ? Also are gas prices affecting your choices and are you attending a Star Party closer to home? or staying home all together ...
Just wondering ....
Clear Skies !
Gary Cislak
Posted 07/07/2008 08:47PM #1
I skipped the Green Bank event because of gas prices...

Pat
Posted 07/08/2008 05:09PM #2
Gary Cislak said:

Hello just wondering how many people are planning on heading to Stellafane this year ? Also are gas prices affecting your choices and are you attending a Star Party closer to home? or staying home all together ...
Just wondering ....
Clear Skies !
Gary Cislak

Gary et al:

I’ve been to every Stellafane since 1995 or so. I’m not going to miss it just because it costs $50 more for the weekend. Also a friend and I have been sharing a ride for the past few years and that cuts the gas cost in half (not to mention that it cuts the driving in half and leads to great conversations.) There were also plenty of people at the Cherry Springs Star Party a few months ago – including a lot of RVs.

With that said I’ve noticed that attendance at Stellafane has been declining for several years (leading to a better chance to win the raffle prizes!!). Last year the reduced number of people/scopes was obvious to anyone who had been at the ‘big years’ (1999 to 2002??) when they had to turn people away at the gate. I think the poor weather for a few years turned people off (remember Hurricanes Bonny and Charley that both hit the same weekend, turning Stellafane into a swamp?), but for the last two conventions the weather was actually very good. I guess it must be the gas prices and this year is even worse on that front. I’ll be looking forward to plenty of room to set up my Obsession 20.

George N
Posted 07/10/2008 09:36PM #3
I've attended Stellafane every year for quite a while and this year will be no different. In fact, my wife and I will be heading to Vermont on Wednesday, in order to make a trip to the top of Mt. Washington. She's quite interested in meteorology, as well as astronomy, and wants to see the weather station at the summit. (I visited there once many years ago.)

It will be 3 star parties/conventions for me this year: the Cherry Springs Star Party, Stellafane, and the Black Forest Star Party.

Dave Mitsky

Chance favors the prepared mind.

De gustibus non est disputandum.
Posted 08/06/2008 08:40PM #4
Gary Cislak said:

Hello just wondering how many people are planning on heading to Stellafane this year ? Also are gas prices affecting your choices Gary Cislak

My gas bill for attending Stellafane 2008 was about $138. That's for a round trip of 422 miles in a Chevy Tahoe pulling a 5x8 cargo trailer (w/ Obsession 20), and two people. It was money well spent for a great time, including two very fine clear nights of observing and attendance at many great presentations.

It seemed to me that attendance was down some. I'm not sure if that was because of gas prices, or the poor (and totally wrong) weather forecasts.

George N