Mauna Kea/Gemini North Observatory Tour Anyone?

Started by astrobug, 12/07/2009 09:30PM
Posted 12/07/2009 09:30PM Opening Post
I hope this is the right forum for this post...please let me know if fits better somewhere else.

I will be visiting the big island of Hawaii with my family for the holidays this year. I will be there from 12/21-1/1, and I am definitely planning a trip up to Mauna Kea to see the scopes and hopefully do a little observing (despite less-than favorable moon phases). I am trying to arrange a tour of the Gemini North observatory sometime in this time frame as well, however, I am currently a singleton and there are currently no tours scheduled in that time frame where I could 'tag-along', so the short story is I need to have a bigger group.

So: is there anyone who will be on the big island in this time frame who is interested in taking a tour of the Gemini North? (I haven't been promised anything, but 4 or 5 folks total seems to be the critical mass needed to get one going). I would be willing to go any day/time in this window, with the exceptions of Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.

Here are the Visitor's Guidelines for the Gemini Observatories:
http://www.gemini.edu/node/11124

I would be willing to help out with transportation up to the summit (I'll be staying in Kona, and I am supposed to have a 4WD vehicle reserved).

I am also planning on doing some observing at the visitor's center after visiting the summit, and you would be welcome to join me in that endeavor as well. (I am feverishly building a 6" f/4.5 travel scope, and it's looking like it will just get done in time.)

Here is more info on the mid-mountain visitor's center:
http://www.ifa.hawaii.edu/info/vis/

Anyhow, if you're going to be on the island and are interested in joining me, let me know ASAP by email or PM. I have been in communication with the tour coordinator, so I would be willing to be the intermediary, or you can contact him directly.

Thanks.
-Brett
Posted 12/07/2009 11:47PM #1
I happened to be on on the island during one of their open houses. The drive is a little long and bumpy over the "saddle road" but there is really no problem on the observatory road itself. And, frankly not much of one on the saddle road to the visitor center.

Most rental contracts say you may not travel the saddle road with a rental car, but one company (starts with an "H"--I'll look it up if it helps) allows it.

Now, as for getting in,and actually doing a tour, I don't know what to tell you. Check out the visitor center website.

Alex