Image of the day

Captured by
Terry Wood

Jupiter (clearer) Nov 5th 2023 w/Mewlon 180c

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Star Party Question ? just looking for input ....

Started by gslak, 03/06/2009 11:25PM
Posted 03/06/2009 11:25PM Opening Post
Hello all,
I know Amatuer Astronomers, Telescope Makers, and Imaging technos are all unique individuals, with a wide variety of interests... My question to you all is " What kind of interest would you have in an Apollo Moonwalker as being a Keynote speaker at a Star Party ?" I know that a lot of us were Influenced by the Golden years of NASA... and that was a link to our astronomy interests and career choices ....

Im looking for some input to help me in deciding if this is a viable option ....
Thank You in advance for your input ....
Thanks !
Gary C
Posted 03/07/2009 12:34AM #1
Gary Cislak said:

Hello all,
I know Amatuer Astronomers, Telescope Makers, and Imaging technos are all unique individuals, with a wide variety of interests... My question to you all is " What kind of interest would you have in an Apollo Moonwalker as being a Keynote speaker at a Star Party ?" I know that a lot of us were Influenced by the Golden years of NASA... and that was a link to our astronomy interests and career choices ....

Im looking for some input to help me in deciding if this is a viable option ....
Thanks !
Gary C

That would be stupendous! A no-brainer even smile

Regards,
Louis Marchesi
[COLOR="Gray"]New London Township, PA[/COLOR]
Posted 03/07/2009 12:47AM #2
Gary Cislak said:

...What kind of interest would you have in an Apollo Moonwalker as being a Keynote speaker at a Star Party?...

Gary,

I think I can give you some first hand experience with that. I'm a third year VP of the Boise Astronomicial Society and our biggest event of the year is the Idaho Star Party, held each September at Bruneau Dunes State Park in Southern Idaho.

This past September we managed to get Barbara Morgan (backup Teacher in Space to Christa McAuliffe who was lost in the Challenger disaster) as one of our guest speakers. Barbara was the teacher from McCall, Idaho and was selected for the TISP in 1985 and it was 22 years before she actually flew as part of the crew in STS-118 on the Endeavor in August of 2007.

In 2008, Barbara left NASA and accepted a position with Boise State University (remember the 2007 Fiesta Bowl?). We jumped at the chance of having a real live astronaut at our event and she graciously accepted our invitation. It turned out to be a good decision as the room we used for her talk and Power Point presentation was packed - standing room only. After 1-1/2 hours, we had to vacate the room, so Barbara came to the campground shelter, followed by most of the original audience (including many families with kids) and she answered questions and chatted with us in the dark for another hour. It was the best turnout for a guest speaker we've ever had. There's nothing like having someone who's "been there and done that".

Attached Image:

mrvolvo's attachment for post 128796
Posted 03/07/2009 02:09AM #3
It's a home run for any astronomy event. My club does NEAF and when we have any astronaut we see and increase in attendance, A moon walker would blow the doors off

Attached Image:

RUSTY845's attachment for post 128798

R.A.C. Advisory Committee
NEAIC Co-Chairman
NEAF Advisory Committee

http://www.deer-pond-observatory.com
Warwick, New York
41.15984 -74.2541

[B]Takahashi MT 160

10" F4.5 Newt 8O
R200SS grin
Some kind of 127mm APO

Orion Atlas EQ-G
Losmandy G11 with Gemini
iOptron Mimi Tower
iOptrom Cube Pro

Meade DSI PRO II 8O
SBIG ST-10ME
Image Source 21AU04.AS

Posted 03/08/2009 05:04AM #4
This is as good a time to announce it as any----

The Pacific Astronomy and Telescope Show (September 26-27) will feature Rusty Schweickart, an Apollo astronaut. I am sure he has many interesting things to share with us.

Alex
Posted 03/08/2009 03:38PM #5
Gary Cislak said:

Hello all,

Thanks !
Gary C

Me? I'd certainly go to hear an Apollo astronaut speak, but the connection with astronomy is tenuous at best.

Uncle Rod

Time on your hands?
Waste it with Uncle Rod's Astro Blog!

http://uncle-rods.blogspot.com/