Sadr part two

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Common Flicker: the Dumb Way

Started by gnowell, 06/12/2009 07:42AM
Posted 06/12/2009 07:42AM Opening Post
I'm not set up for bird photography, but I thought I would show this series of photos. They are of a common flicker. The difficulty here is the camera (Coolpix 995), the back window (not as clean as it might be), and the fact that everything is hand-held.

This includes the last shots, which are all hand held, where I'm working with the camera lens thrust into the eye socket of a Pentax 10x43 binocular.

1. The bird through the window at 1x.
2. The bird through the window using camera zoom.
3. The bird through the window using camera zoom at around 2x plus the binocular, all hand held
4. The bird through the window using camera zoom at 4x, with the binocular, with the bird moving just a tad
5. The same as #4 except the bird is digging deep into the ground and hold fairly still.

...maybe if I had a tripod I could do something!

Greg N

Attached Image:

gnowell's attachment for post 47159

"Scope will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no scope." --Freewheelin' Franklin
Posted 06/12/2009 07:42AM #1
2. The bird through the window using camera zoom.

Attached Image:

gnowell's attachment for post 130788

"Scope will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no scope." --Freewheelin' Franklin
Posted 06/12/2009 11:46AM #2
Greg, I'm surprised that the bird hung around long enough for you to go through the whole sequence! These are pretty good for handheld through 1/2 a binocular. I've fooled around with that approach too, without much success. For casual wildlife photography I've found my Sony DSC-H9 with 15x zoom and built-in image stabilization to be a better solution. Of course it would never satisfy the serious photographers here.

Milt