My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Looking for spotting scope recommendations

Started by Mark Van Tiem, 03/12/2009 02:28AM
Posted 03/12/2009 02:28AM Opening Post
Hi Everyone,

I have been using a TV Pronto scope for birding. But now I would like to purchase a spotting scope that has water proof optics. So my question is how much will it cost to get something in the same kind of quality for color correction as the Pronto Scope? I do not need the best optics but I would like to have something in the middle range of color correction. Also if you have any recommendation on good spotting scope with a zoom lens would be helpful.
Thanks
Mark
Posted 03/12/2009 06:32AM #1
Baader makes an 8mm to 24mm zoom eyepiece that can be used on most Celestron spotting scopes as well as at least one other....Zeiss or Pentax. It's probably Zeiss spotting scopes as Baader is the "new Zeiss" as far as astronomy products go.

Alpine Astronomical and Astro Physics are Baader dealers in the USA.

Phil
Posted 03/12/2009 08:50PM #2
The Pentax PF80ED is very nice(I've had two}. It uses any 1.25" eyepiece. Can be had with 45 degree prism although the straight through version is my preference.
Posted 03/13/2009 01:24AM #3
Mark Van Tiem said:

Hi Everyone,

I have been using a TV Pronto scope for birding. But now I would like to purchase a spotting scope that has water proof optics. So my question is how much will it cost to get something in the same kind of quality for color correction as the Pronto Scope? I do not need the best optics but I would like to have something in the middle range of color correction. Also if you have any recommendation on good spotting scope with a zoom lens would be helpful.
Thanks
Mark

Mark: I think it really depends upon your budget, how much do you want to spend? I see that Orion recently introduced an ED spotting scope for around $450, that might be a reasonable choice.

Spotting scopes have erecting optics which compromises the image sharpness at higher mags, something to be aware of...

jon