Mini-review Pentax DCF WP 8x42

Started by light trap, 10/29/2002 03:08AM
Posted 10/29/2002 03:08AM Opening Post
I've tried repeatedly to post a full review of these binoculars, but it seems that no amount of editing will get the full review under the 3000 character max. So here it is in a nutshell. These binos currently have a $100 Pentax rebate, and that coupled with careful internet shopping means that they are available in the $250US range.

Pros:
Price
Phase coating
Long Eye relief (20mm)
Waterproof

Cons:
Coatings not up to standards set by Minox & Kahles
Flare and ghost easily
Some noticeable aberations
Flat colors

Bottom line: Good B+ roof prism binos in a price range previously unheard of for phase coated waterproof roofies. I recomend them for what they are.

Mike Swaim
Posted 10/29/2002 03:24AM #1
I've compared these in the field to Canon 8x32AW (miserably dark and heavy), Minox 8.5x42, Kahles 8x42, Minox 8x32, Nikon Venturer Lx 8x42, Swarovski EL 8.5x42, Optolyth Alpin 8x30, Nikon SE 8x32, Nikon SE 12x50, Leupold W.R. 10x50 and the orig. Swift Audubon 8.5x44 non-w.p. porros.

As far as resolution and clarity go, the Pentax DCF WP simply aren't in the same league as the top end $1K roof prism binos such as the Venturers and ELs. Nor are they in the same class as the excellent sub-$500 offerings from Minox and Kahles. In the under $600 class of roofies, the Kahles are definitely worthy of much consideration. In the under $450 category, the Minox BD series is really pretty darn good. But the thing of it is, that the Pentax are currently available for around $340-$360 and have a $100 rebate. That brings them down into the range of popular mid-priced porros. While they don't even come close to the excellent Nikon SEs (not much does), they definitely hold their own against classics like the Swift Audubon 8.5x44s without as much edge distortion.

To me, that's really where the strength of the Pentax DCF WPs is. They offer waterproof phase coated roof prisms to folks that previously only had short eye relief, often non-WP porros to chose from in this size/weight configuration. They're a much more solid entry into that market than any of the non-phase coated roof prism binos that I've seen so far. They are a modern alternative to the various things currently being called Swift Audubon...

Mike Swaim