Evening Grosbeak

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Question for Canon DSLR Users

Started by mrvolvo, 04/18/2011 01:57PM
Posted 04/18/2011 01:57PM Opening Post
Several years ago, I bought my daughter a Canon Rebel XTi DSLR with the standard short zoom lens (18~55, I think). She is now asking me for a longer lens for wildlife and bird shots and I'm looking at the Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS lens. My questions are:

1. Is this lens compatible with the Canon Rebel XTi?

2. Will the Image Stabilization feature on this lens work with the Rebel XTi?

3. Any pro's or con's on this lens?

Thanks for any input.

Posted 04/19/2011 10:27AM | Edited 04/19/2011 07:59PM #1
Thomas
I have the 55-250 on an XT, for when my 6 year old grandson goes out shooting wildlife with me. It is a very nice lens for birds and wildlife, especially for the price. It's better that the less expensive 75-300 non-IS version. The 55-250 makes a nice combination with the 18-55 to cover a wide range of focal length. As often as not, my grandson walks away with the best shot of the day.

If she gets more serious, thext the next step is the EF-400 F5.6. I use it with the Canon 7D and it is a very nice combo, especially for catching birds in flight.

1. Yes
2. The IS works great, but best to turn off for birds in flight or fast movement, but use high shutter speed (1/1600 to 1/2000 second) in good light.
3. Pros - great lens for the price, good color and resolution. Quick focus. Light in weight.
Cons - for more serious bird and animal photography, will like longer focal length. Cheaper construction. Doesn't include a sun shield.

Wish you the best.
Steven Jindra
Posted 05/03/2011 03:50PM #2
Tom and Steven,

After receiving your confirmation on the Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS lens, I purchase one new and mailed it to my daughter at college. She was thrilled and is quite satisfied with it's performance and ease of use. I've attached a shot she took on her first photo outing with her Canon Digital Rebel XTi and her new lens.

Thanks guys!

Attached Image:

mrvolvo's attachment for post 140616