Spotting scope tripods

Started by light trap, 10/29/2002 04:18AM
Posted 10/29/2002 04:18AM Opening Post
Like my forays into binoculars and scopes, my search for a really good spotting scope and photo tripod has led me to some definite dead ends and some possible solutions.

I started with a Bogen 3001 w/3D head. Despite whatever various review sites say about this tripod, I'd seriously suggest skipping it unless you're only about 5' tall. Having to rely on extending the center post to get necessary height is bad for both photography and for spotting.

Next came the Tiltalls. I've had two; one old and one new. They're darn good tripods for the money, but sand eventually makes screwing the locking collars tight very difficult. Still, I'd not rule this out as a lightweight, suitable tripod for scopes up to about 70mm and for 35mm photo work, IF the newest version with the quick release head has solved the problems of trying to screw the scope/camera onto the threaded post. The old cork washer head top meant that repeatability was more of an idea than a reality.

A briefly misguided Ebay mistake led to a Davis & Sanford Traveler. Barely worth throwing in the trash. Utter garbage.
I then experimented with monopods and shoulder pods. Neither is worth much discussion in a spotting scope thread. Shoulder pods can be used to some good effect with spotting scopes in the 60-65mm range, but the length of the viewing is really limited and quite frustrating.

Then I got "smart" and got the highly recommended Bogen Wilderness 3221WN w/3030 quick release head. This was my first experience with a quick release head, and I would consider that feature mandatory for any serious birding tripod. This is a relatively heavy tripod, and while it's steady enough for any 80-100mm spotter, it's just too much to lug 5 miles in the summer sun when loaded with optics, photo junk and water.

Finally, I got even smarter and got a Velbon Chaser EL 3A with pan head and quick release. This is a good, inexpensive, lightweight tripod for scopes up to about 70mm (maybe light 77mm??) I don't expect it to last forever, but it's a good lightweight tripod. It's my current favorite of the non-graphite, non-super expensive tripods.

Conclusion: Lightweight, full height, quick release/lock legs, quick release, full range head should all be considered minimums for a spotting scope tripod. I'd have done lots better, and come out lots cheaper to simply buy the top of the line carbon fiber version of the Velbon or Gitzo right from the start. But who wants to spend that kind of money on a tripod, until they've actually learned why it makes sense? ;-)

Mike Swaim
Posted 11/06/2002 08:51PM #1
Mike:

Thanks for the info. I just acquired the Bogen 3221WN/501 fluid head combo a month ago. I wanted another tall Bogen tripod for my giant binos and the 3221 WN weighs about 3 lbs less than my bogen 3246. Now you have me really interested in the Velbon Chaser 3A. From the Adorama site I see this tripod can extend up to 68". Like to know the part number of the pan head you are using. Also do you consider this tripod tall enough for viewing the zenith with binoculars?

PS. As always, you have a lot of good info to share... be it optics for astronomy, birding or for target spotting. We really miss you on the Yahoo Bino Astronomy groups. Is there any way we can get you back?

Erik D