Prominence

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Anybody build their own?

Started by mogayn, 01/08/2008 03:53AM
Posted 01/08/2008 03:53AM | Edited 01/08/2008 04:02AM Opening Post
I've built (and heavily modified) a couple of kits, neither of which are still available. An Arion Adonis vacuum-tube based integrated amp from Ireland, and a phono pre-amp from a company in Seattle(?). The Northwest has a fairly large D.I.Y. community, I believe.

I also built my own speakers from a design by Lynn Olson. A decade ago, I was amazed by what one could find on the internet.

For those of you who like to build your own scopes and mounts, get out you soldering irons and give it a try.
Posted 01/08/2008 04:02AM #1
Michael O Gaynes said:

I've built (and heavily modified) a couple of kits, neither of which are still available. An Arion Adonis vacuum-tube based integrated amp from Ireland, and a phono pre-amp from a company in Seattle(?). The Northwest has a fairly large D.I.Y. community, I believe.

I also built my own speakers from a design by Lynn Olson. A decade ago, I was amazed by what one could find the internet.

For those of you who like to build your own scopes and mounts, get out you soldering irons and give it a try.

Hi Michael:

Wow! me too. I built Olson's Ariel Speakers about 5 years ago. This is perhaps my finest woodworking accomplishment to date. I am powering the Ariels with Welborne Labs kits from Ron Welborne here in Colorado. The power amps are 300B based Laurel IIs and the pre-amp is Ron's Ultrapath. I had as much fun building everything as I do listening to the system.

Jim