Image of the day

From the
ATWB Customer Gallery

Running Man - NGC1977

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

If you have any questions or experiencing an issue please report to support@astromart.com

My New Old Cool Jukebox.

Started by richartisticwoods, 04/22/2015 06:20PM
Posted 04/22/2015 06:20PM Opening Post
Hi,
I just purchased a cool old Seeburg Jukebox that was made in 1950. It is the Model 100B, and it plays the records sideways (vertically). This thing is very cool, and needs some work, but I think I can get it working. The amplifier is a tube type and it is only Mono (stereo hadn't even been invented yet). The mechanism for playing the 45 RPM records is a marvel of Mechanical Engineering. I've been able to disassemble it so far, and I've gotten the main clutch off the Select-O-Matic mechanism to find it was so gummed up with old oil that the gears wouldn't even move. I cleaned it all up and I'll be taking the entire Select-o-matic mechanism down to nuts and bolts or nearly so.

Anyone have any experience with one of these? I have to relaminate the entire cabinet case, so I'll be most likely using a plastic laminate rather than wood veneer, just because it will last so much longer with the plastic laminate.

Should be a really fun electro-mechanical project, so any advice would be welcome or anyone who has experience with this will be appreciated.

I'll post some photos of it shortly.

Thanks, Rich
Posted 04/22/2015 06:27PM #1
Some photos of it in its present state:

Attached Image:

richartisticwoods's attachment for post 149561
Posted 04/22/2015 06:28PM #2
Another shot

Attached Image:

richartisticwoods's attachment for post 149562
Posted 04/22/2015 06:30PM #3
The front of the selector

Attached Image:

richartisticwoods's attachment for post 149563
Posted 04/22/2015 06:31PM #4
Here's a look at the Select-o-matic mechanism

Attached Image:

richartisticwoods's attachment for post 149564
Posted 04/22/2015 06:31PM #5
Side view of the mechanics

Attached Image:

richartisticwoods's attachment for post 149565
Posted 04/24/2015 01:27PM #6
The audioasylum web forum will have plenty of info on restoration of vacuum tube amplification in their Q & A info section. Jim Mcshane (found in the vendors list on Home page of the Asylum) is another excellent source of power-supply capacitors and tubes, in addition to Antique Elecronic Supply (tubesandmore) and Angela; I've used & recommend all three sources. The electro-chemical constructed capacitors in the power supply and perhaps elsewhere in the circuit shall require replacement due to their acidic internal paste having oxidized with age. Such construction is required to keep the large capacitance value of such parts within reasonable physical size, but like old flashlight batteries they have a limited life span. New construction of such parts is physically smaller than yesterday and also lasts longer. Stereo was either not yet invented (came mainstream in the 1960's) or would be lost in a bar/grill environment. The speakers and amplifier in many old Jukes is of Hi-Fi quality, tho. I have an old Rockola and the R&R 45's to fill it. Yeah, decades of Diner grease in the mechanism needs to be cleaned out and replace the record needle too, before playing any records to preserve them as well as can be. Also wash the old records gently with soap & water and rinse well, being careful to not get the labels wet (this will eliminate most pops and clicks heard during replay). I still regularly play my and my wife's originally-purchased 45's and 33.33 lp's thru a vacuum-tube amplifier.