Jupiter (clearer) Nov 5th 2023 w/Mewlon 180c

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

alternative energy

Started by Mark229, 07/17/2008 02:32AM
Posted 07/17/2008 02:32AM Opening Post
So now the oceans are acidifying. The rabid environmentalists must be apoplectic that the only real way to cut co2 emissions and provide elec power 24/7 is with nuclear power, at least at present. They can use ocean water for coolant(after desalination and treatment), and discharge only water vapor. The French, who get so much of their power from nuclear, don't seem to have an issue with waste storage. Only the rabid environmentalists do. So what's it to be? Pollute the air, acidify the oceans, or discharge water vapor and store waste-which can be reduced in volume. Oh, and there has never been a waste cask to leak its contents into the environment.
Posted 07/17/2008 06:29AM #1
Like you, I think nuclear power has a place for providing an alternative energy source, especially for the near term. Near term meaning decades.

Personally, I think we will find that any power source will have its drawbacks whether it is wind, solar, hydro, geothermal, tidal, biomass, black hole, or otherwise. There is no perfect energy source.

All we can do is assess the risk and mitigate the downside as long as we want the comfort, convenience, and safety that a technological society provides. And I believe that the vast majority of people want that.