Antarctica Ice Increases

Started by Rod Kaufman, 11/12/2012 01:08AM
Posted 11/12/2012 01:08AM Opening Post
Explained:
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/11/121111153813.htm
Meanwhile, future warming is predicted to take an uptick:
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/11/121108142746.htm
Posted 11/12/2012 04:19PM #1
Good move, Rod, to get out in front on this issue. It helps to convince skeptics like me when you are proactive!

"Praise the Lord for the expanding grandeur of creation, worlds known and unknown, galaxies beyond galaxies, filling us with awe and challenging our imaginations." 2007 Reform Siddur
Posted 11/12/2012 06:51PM #2
LOL, when the winds shift ice out of the Arctic Ocean, it's denied because climate change must be the cause; when winds shift ice in to Antarctica, it's caused by climate change. I guess it was only a matter of time before they came with with an AGW explanation for Antarctica adding an area of ice the size of Connecticut every year since 1979. What the story calls "small Antarctic increase". Yet when the Arctic loses a much smaller amount the same story calls it "dramatic".

I wonder how they explain the ice getting thicker over decades in Antarctica? (Nevermind, I finished the story -- they said that's it's not). This is what passes for ethical science these days. Sad.
Posted 11/16/2012 03:17AM #3
It comes as a surprise to me that JPL is working on the phenomenon at all, much less can't come up with an answer. If you'll all forgive my casual approach, I remember Rice University was doing a comparison between the loss of continental ice and seasonal gains in sea ice back in 1983. That was my winter-over season.

Comparing the two poles is apples to oranges, as the dynamics are much different. In the Arctic you have an increase in salt content due to a huge increase fresh water rivers being diverted by dams and industry. No global warming needed to decrease ice, just diminish fresh water for 60 odd years.

In Antarctica, the oceans are fed fresh water by regular glacial flow off the continent. Turn up the heat, glaciers and both major ice shelves diminish and melt. You get the opposite of the North Pole. With an increase in fresh water, the sea freezes more readily and further from shore.

Continental ice has been in decline since my time. The Ross Ice Shelf is calving off at a faster rate every year. So, to me an increase in sea ice should follow.

Thanks,
Steve
8)