Image of the day

From the
ATWB Customer Gallery

Disco Inferno

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

How to end GW in a few days + a thought.

Started by aristaeus63, 12/10/2008 07:59PM
Posted 12/10/2008 07:59PM Opening Post
I read an article in the December issue of Physics Today about the effects on the climate of a nuclear war. To bottom line it a Pakistan/India nuclear exchange would put enough soot in the air to lower global temperatures by about 2 degrees C (little ice age). A large-scale exchange between Russia, China, USA, and Europe would drop the temp by 8 to 9 degrees C (full blown ice age). Reading the article made me think of the temperature vs. CO2 chart for the last 120 years. The CO2 and temperature correlate most of the time except for 1940 to 1970 or so. During that time the temperature decreases slightly while the CO2 increases. It got me wondering if above ground nuclear testing during this time frame had anything to do with this. Has any research been done about the nuclear testing age and the climate? Did the soot put in the upper atmosphere from above ground testing lower global temperature?

Any thoughts?

Andreas

http://zfacts.com/p/226.html

DSOs observed:
NGCs 2005, ICs 103, Other 70, Palomar GCs 6, Abell PNs 12, Herschel 400: 316.
Equipment
Celestron CPC 1100, Lunt 60mm Ha Solar Scope
Posted 12/12/2008 06:47AM #1
I did some searching on the internet about the above ground nuclear testing age and the aerosols the explosions generated. I found a lot of stuff about the radioactive fallout but only a sentence or two about the soot and it's effect on the atmosphere during that time.

Andreas

DSOs observed:
NGCs 2005, ICs 103, Other 70, Palomar GCs 6, Abell PNs 12, Herschel 400: 316.
Equipment
Celestron CPC 1100, Lunt 60mm Ha Solar Scope