My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Interesting Article

Started by aristaeus63, 11/25/2008 12:54PM
Posted 11/25/2008 12:54PM Opening Post
http://www.nature.com/news/2008/081121/full/news.2008.1250.html

Though what he says seems like a great idea on the surface it might, IMO, lead to less productivity. In my career I've been involved in a number of conference calls, some of which have involved numerous EPA and State regulators around the country. It's a good way to get things done without leaving your office. I find though some of the most productive meetings I have are at actual conferences. Putting heads together at a casual lunch with people you don't routinely see can be very productive. It's especially good if you need funding. You use more energy to attend a meeting or conference but it yields more long-term gains.

Andreas

DSOs observed:
NGCs 2005, ICs 103, Other 70, Palomar GCs 6, Abell PNs 12, Herschel 400: 316.
Equipment
Celestron CPC 1100, Lunt 60mm Ha Solar Scope
Posted 11/25/2008 01:42PM #1
Andreas while I agree that the most productive meetings are those when you meet with people who you don't normally talk with over dinner/lunch, I have limited my travel to meeting to only those that I am forced to go to. I would normally go to the December AGU meeting, but have stopped going. The problem is not the time or cost, but the harassment by TSA. I have had the zippers ripped off my suitcase by a TSA agent trying to zip the suitcase closed, I have been detained because I told the TSA screener in advance that I was carrying dropsondes which APPEAR to be weapons and laptops destroyed by deliberate mishandling. In each case I was the criminal because I complained or asked to be reimbursed for the damage done by TSA I was being unpatriotic >sad