Cocoon Nebula

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

More looney tunes from wattsupwiththat

Started by rpasken, 11/11/2008 08:45PM
Posted 11/11/2008 08:45PM | Edited 11/11/2008 08:46PM Opening Post
A curious thing just happened. The Russians made a mistake by sending September temperatures as October tmperatures, giving an erroneous positive anomaly. NOAA and GISS caught the error and within 24 hours had the correct data in place. The good thing is that with many eyes checking the data it is easy to catch the problem. The same thing occurred with the UAH MSU-LT data, which had yet another major set of problems, but the problem with UAH MSU-LT data was quickly caught and corrected. This is good science at work. Every one involved should be justifiably proud of the work they did.

The curious thing is the posts on wattsupwiththat.com. First a few FACTS, GISS only puts out press releases on the temperature analysis at the end of the year, however, Watts proudly proclaims that GISS sent out a press release "declaring the October the 'warmest ever'". Once again GISS only puts out press releases on the temperature analysis at the end of the year. Watts further claims "I believe they had two sets of data: One would be released if Republicans won, and another if Democrats won.", "could this be a sneaky way to set up the BO presidency with an urgent need to regulate CO2?", "There are a great many of us who will under no circumstance allow the oppression of government rule to pervade over our freedom—-PERIOD!!!!!!" (exclamation marks reduced enormously), "these people are blinded by their own bias", "this sort of scientific fraud", "Climate science on the warmer side has degenerated to competitive lying", etc…

You wonder why as a scientist I consider Watts, who never was anything more than a TV personality, to be a fraud and liar.
Posted 11/17/2008 04:51PM #1
Robert Pasken said:

A curious thing just happened. The Russians made a mistake by sending September temperatures as October tmperatures, giving an erroneous positive anomaly. NOAA and GISS caught the error and within 24 hours had the correct data in place. The good thing is that with many eyes checking the data it is easy to catch the problem. The same thing occurred with the UAH MSU-LT data, which had yet another major set of problems, but the problem with UAH MSU-LT data was quickly caught and corrected. This is good science at work. Every one involved should be justifiably proud of the work they did.

The curious thing is the posts on wattsupwiththat.com. First a few FACTS, GISS only puts out press releases on the temperature analysis at the end of the year, however, Watts proudly proclaims that GISS sent out a press release "declaring the October the 'warmest ever'". Once again GISS only puts out press releases on the temperature analysis at the end of the year. Watts further claims "I believe they had two sets of data: One would be released if Republicans won, and another if Democrats won.", "could this be a sneaky way to set up the BO presidency with an urgent need to regulate CO2?", "There are a great many of us who will under no circumstance allow the oppression of government rule to pervade over our freedom—-PERIOD!!!!!!" (exclamation marks reduced enormously), "these people are blinded by their own bias", "this sort of scientific fraud", "Climate science on the warmer side has degenerated to competitive lying", etc…

You wonder why as a scientist I consider Watts, who never was anything more than a TV personality, to be a fraud and liar.

Here is what FOX News reported: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,453665,00.html

We report. You decide. Okay, I decided. I agree with Robert.