Jupiter (clearer) Nov 5th 2023 w/Mewlon 180c

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Obama: Dakota Floods Caused by GW

Started by dsnope, 03/27/2009 07:48PM
Posted 03/27/2009 07:48PM Opening Post
President Obama says potentially historic flood levels in North Dakota are a clear example of why steps need to be taken to stop global warming. Heavy rain and blizzards have caused eight rivers in the state to swell to flood levels and emergency management officials are warily watching the Red River, which could surpass record levels late this week.

"If you look at the flooding that's going on right now in North Dakota and you say to yourself, 'If you see an increase of two degrees, what does that do, in terms of the situation there?'" Obama told reporters at the White House Monday. "That indicates the degree to which we have to take this seriously."

Uhhhm, Mr. President, please check your own NOAA climate data. You see that dark blue area that is the same color as your suit? That shows record cold temperatures in North Dakota. Care to rephrase your statement? Naah, didn't think so. Nobody needs to look behind the curtain. Does every disaster have to be blamed on AGW to justify your $660B cap-and-trade tax?
http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/climate/research/cag3/cag3.html
Posted 03/28/2009 01:19PM #1
Well remember what Rahm Emanuel said "never let a good crisis go to waste" (something like that anyway). If it's cold and snowy, it's global warming. If it's hot and dry, it's global warming. Every flood, drought, hurricane, nice sunny day... global warming. They haven't quite been able to blame the financial crisis to global warming, but I'm sure someone is trying.

Andreas

DSOs observed:
NGCs 2005, ICs 103, Other 70, Palomar GCs 6, Abell PNs 12, Herschel 400: 316.
Equipment
Celestron CPC 1100, Lunt 60mm Ha Solar Scope
Posted 03/29/2009 10:56AM #2
I live in Minnesota so I can tell you that Red River flooding in the spring is a normal occurance. This event has been going on for eons ever since the last glacier retreated. That's why there is a dike system for some towns along the river (obviously this year a combination of factors worked against the residents this spring). The reason it floods every year is pretty simple-the river flows north into Canada. When spring melts the snow pack, it melts the snow in the south first which drains into the river. The river outlets in the north are still frozen solid-the water has no choice but to back up along the river valley. Flooding is also the reason the area has such rich farmland.
I would like a reporter to ask BO if he knows which way the Red River flows.
Global warming didn't cause this-geology and weather (which we can't control although some people think we can) caused the perfectly natural event.
That being said, I commend all the residents and volunteers who are helping and have helped to save the city. Not once did they ask "Where is the Federal government?". They knew what had to be done and they did it themselves. People came from all over, prisoners were let out to help because they WANTED to. That is the true spirit of America-The "Can Do" attitude.

Chris
Cedar, MN
Posted 04/05/2009 03:05AM #3
Obama commenting on the flooding in the Red River area reminds me of the bridge collapse in Mpls a yr or so ago. The bodies weren't out of the water yet, when some politician or another blamed the collapse on "global warming". It wasn't, of course. but give a politician a microphone, and the pet cause of the day gets the credit/blame.