Jupiter (clearer) Nov 5th 2023 w/Mewlon 180c

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Oh My God!, Rapid Climate Change has happend befor

Started by aristaeus63, 09/20/2008 08:45PM
Posted 09/20/2008 08:45PM Opening Post
Here is a paper on recent, geologically speaking, climate changes.

http://www.esd.ornl.gov/projects/qen/transit.html

A little research turns up a lot of info like this. I learned stuff like this 20+ years ago when I got my geology degree.

Andreas

DSOs observed:
NGCs 2005, ICs 103, Other 70, Palomar GCs 6, Abell PNs 12, Herschel 400: 316.
Equipment
Celestron CPC 1100, Lunt 60mm Ha Solar Scope
Posted 09/20/2008 10:29PM #1
Andreas Saldivar said:

Here is a paper on recent, geologically speaking, climate changes.

http://www.esd.ornl.gov/projects/qen/transit.html

A little research turns up a lot of info like this. I learned stuff like this 20+ years ago when I got my geology degree.

Andreas

Andreas,

As a fellow geologist, I have to point out basic questions about time and process. Geology is all about time-scale and the processes that operate over tectonic time-scales differ from those that operate over centennial, decadal, or annual time-scales. The abrupt climate change during the last glaciation are well known, but the boundary conditions that existed at the time are entirely different from those today. In fact, as the famous geologist Wallace Broecker points out, the amplitude of these fluctuations reflect amplification of the boundary conditions. This fourm is filled with people well-versed in science, including geologists and climatologists, that fully understand that the climate system can fluctuate abruptly from natural processes. So let's look at the modern. When the natural driving mechanisms today are summed, the predicted increase in global temperature is less than that observed. However, when the foring of anthropogenic CO2 is added, the predicted rise in global temperature matches (within error) the observed temperature rise. Yes, abrupt climate change occurred natually in the past, but the driving mechanisms of the Younger Dryas, Dansgaard-Oeschger Events, Heinrich Events, etc. differ from those of today.