My First WOW image

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Re: Out of gas

Started by Jud, 12/02/2008 06:18AM
Posted 12/02/2008 06:18AM Opening Post
While you guys are comtemplating our abuse of energy and how to complicate our infrastructure more in order to idiot-proof our insatiable demand for power, it is time for my ride. Please note my most recent power saving purchase perched on the sadle. It is designed for those short trips to the grocery/post office/hardware store. It can save a lot of gas so that others won't have to run out.

Jud

Attached Image:

Jud's attachment for post 44793

I Yam What I Yam!
Posted 12/02/2008 06:40AM #1
Well Judson,

If everyone purchased one of those contraptions, our collective caloric intake would need to rise in order to power the pedals. This in turn would require planting more crops, clearing more land for agriculture, and applying greater quantities of fertilizers and herbicides. Not to mention the negative impact on the multi-billion dollar diet and fitness industry. Hardly a solution at all. No, I think we better just keep drilling the infinite oil supply.
Posted 12/02/2008 07:01AM | Edited 12/02/2008 07:09AM #2
Judson Mitchell said:

While you guys are comtemplating our abuse of energy and how to complicate our infrastructure more in order to idiot-proof our insatiable demand for power, it is time for my ride. Please note my most recent power saving purchase perched on the sadle. It is designed for those short trips to the grocery/post office/hardware store. It can save a lot of gas so that others won't have to run out.

Jud

Indeed... When the old bicycle runs out of gas, all it takes is a Powerbar and it's up and running again.

As far as running out of hydrogen or electricity vs running out of gasoline, these all cause the vehicle to stop operating and therefore ones safety would seem to be equally compromised regardless of fuel source though I would guess electric power has an advantage. This is because batteries die slowly, some reserve is left...

There are lots of methods to avoid running out of fuel... the simplest involve watching the fuel gage... But it would be trivial to hook up the fuel gauge to the GPS...

Jon ...been commuting by bicycle for almost 20 years... Ran out of gas on the way home from work just one time... made it to the top of the hill and had a burger and malt... a lot nicer than having to walk for that smelly gasoline... save myself $1000 a year in parking fees not to mention the fuel and wear and tear on the car...

Attached Image:

jonisaacs's attachment for post 126667