My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Re: Out of gas

Started by maurice clark, 12/02/2008 02:05PM
Posted 12/02/2008 02:05PM Opening Post
Hi Jim,

Interesting question. In Australia the govt offers a $3000 rebate for anyone converting a car from petrol to LPG (from a cost of about $3500). Petrol is currently around $1.40 per litre against LPG around $0.45. So many people are converting their cars. I have just bought a car already converted for this reason.

So what happens if you run out of LPG? (assuming you did not bother to watch the fuel guage) You just flick a switch and you can run on petrol. So I always keep the petrol tank about half full as my emergency. Half a tank will get me about 350km which should be enough to reach a fuel station! grin

Cheers,

Maurice

* Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a day.
* Teach a man to use the internet and he won't bother you for weeks.
Posted 12/02/2008 03:10PM | Edited 12/02/2008 03:10PM #1
Maurice Clark said:

Hi Jim,

Interesting question. In Australia the govt offers a $3000 rebate for anyone converting a car from petrol to LPG (from a cost of about $3500). Petrol is currently around $1.40 per litre against LPG around $0.45. So many people are converting their cars. I have just bought a car already converted for this reason.

Thanks Maurice

What is the relative km/liter of gasoline versus LPG? IOW, does a liter of LPG have less, more, or about the same energy as gasoline, as is usable by an auto?

Just curious, because alcohol or hydrogen for instance in the USA, do not currently have as good mileage as gasoline or diesel in current-implemented vehicles. So to drive the same distance, you need a bigger tank for alcohol or hydrogen. And of course one considers miles-per-dollar rather than miles-per-gallon, at least if using economics to make the decision.