Small Nuclear Reactors!

Started by Jud, 11/09/2008 04:10PM
Posted 11/09/2008 04:10PM Opening Post
Information is that small nuclear reactors will soon be produced. "The US government has licensed the technology to Hyperion, a New Mexico-based company". What was interesting in the article, is that none of the mentioned reactors for early production were scheduled to be installed in the US. Interesting that such important technology does not appear to be targeted for US Consumption. Where are our proponents for alternate energy sources? Are we missing the boat again here?

Jud

I Yam What I Yam!
Posted 11/09/2008 06:07PM | Edited 11/09/2008 06:07PM #1
It seems that this is very new technology. Not bad just it has been delivered yet and it was just (October 24,2008) announced as a commercial product. All in all an interesting product. The only thing that disturbs me is the statement on Hyperion's web site

Hyperion power modules are buried far underground and guarded by a security detail.
Posted 11/09/2008 07:05PM #2
Looked over the Hyperion website, but didn't quickly find design details. The 'meltdown proof' detail, and the small size, makes it sound like maybe a pebble bed reactor? Or some other design? Anyone know?

I read a couple of years ago that (if recalling correctly) Hitachi is/was developing small pebble-bed standardized commercial reactors, but I don't think the Hitachi reactors were quite this small.

Small Plutonium 238 'batteries' power some spacecraft and such, but the output of those guys is quite low.