Jupiter (clearer) Nov 5th 2023 w/Mewlon 180c

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Watts Up With What?

Started by rprovin, 12/05/2012 04:06PM
Posted 12/05/2012 04:06PM | Edited 12/05/2012 04:06PM Opening Post
Anthony Watts recently appeared on PBS. Here are a few of his surprising comments:

"I suppose that because I agreed that global warming occurred over the last century, and that CO2 plays a role (though isn't the only driver) that he [Spencer Michels, PBS Newshour correspondent] was surprised that he didn't have a "denier" soundbite to work with."

and

"I'm saying that the data might be biased by these influences [urbanization's buildings and streets] to a percentage. Yes, we have some global warming, it's clear the temperature has gone up in the last 100 years. But what percentage of that is from carbon dioxide? And what percentage of that is from changes in the local and measurement environment?"

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2012/09/17/ill-be-on-the-pbs-newshour-tonight/

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/2012/09/why-the-global-warming-crowd-oversells-its-message.html

"A wise man, ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
-David Hume
Posted 12/05/2012 04:44PM #1
Is there something surprising here? I don't understand your bold emphases. Anthony and pretty much every AGW skeptic agrees that temperature has gone up over the last 100 or the 200 years since the LIA. Some think that CO2 plays a small role but without the positive feedbacks claimed by warmists.

I disagree that there is much of a CO2 role for numerous reasons and physidal laws. It certainly hasn't been proven. For CO2 to cause atmospheric warming, the the models all are based on a heat amplification signature in the upper troposphere, the fingerprint of man-made global warming. It doesn't exist in recent satellite observations or in radiosonde measurements in recent studies published in late 2012 (Po-Chedley et al, Seidel et al, to name two).

AGW advocates will have to keep going on faith until a CO2 heat amplification can be measured, one that somehow circumvents the first and second laws of thermodynamics and the real gas law that we were taught in lower-level college classes.