HorseHead and Flame

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

weather forcast- a lost art?

Started by drgenovese, 09/22/2014 05:51AM
Posted 09/22/2014 05:51AM Opening Post
Somebody help me here. My memory tells me that for a period of maybe 10-15years weather forecasting was dead on. I used to do music promotion and out door events were always a nightmare, but a week to 10 days out they were dead on. Now they often can't get it right for today ("clear sky " - it's overcast. or the opposite). My opinion is that the weather guys who actually interpreted the data are all dead and computers models do all the predictions.
Much less the idiots that do hurricane predictions for the season. Every year for the last several years they have predicted above average hurricanes, and another year they are beyond dismally wrong. This year there was NOTHING! Forget the "global warming" models".
Anyone have any opinions on this?
Posted 09/22/2014 07:07AM | Edited 09/22/2014 07:09AM #1
Charles R Genovese, Jr MD said:

Somebody help me here. My memory tells me that for a period of maybe 10-15years weather forecasting was dead on. I used to do music promotion and out door events were always a nightmare, but a week to 10 days out they were dead on. Now they often can't get it right for today ("clear sky " - it's overcast. or the opposite). My opinion is that the weather guys who actually interpreted the data are all dead and computers models do all the predictions.
Much less the idiots that do hurricane predictions for the season. Every year for the last several years they have predicted above average hurricanes, and another year they are beyond dismally wrong. This year there was NOTHING! Forget the "global warming" models".
Anyone have any opinions on this?

I remember those days before their seemingly complete reliance on computer models. Just the other day I was driving down the road in the rain and the forecast on the radio said it was sunny. 8O I thought, "hey dummy, look out the window!" lol!