Messier 13 Hercules Cluster

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Health Care?

Started by FOCUS, 08/01/2009 11:44AM
Posted 08/01/2009 11:44AM Opening Post
Can someone please explain to me why health care can't be made to be like car insurance? Every state enact their own minimum coverage say $5000 deductible with $10mm life time benefit. Make it mandatory that you have it, give a tax credit or gov't assistance to those below a certain reasonable income level, tax all employer health care benefits, tax them to help pay for it. (wow I can't believe I said that).
Allow any one else any coverage they would like to buy? Why is this hard? If you are tough to insure then you go to a certain higher risk pay plan. Why shouldn't someone who is getting $50k per year of drugs pay 15-25% more in premiums?
just thoughts on a beautiful 65o, rainy, dreary Saturday in Chicago.
B
Posted 08/01/2009 02:50PM | Edited 08/01/2009 02:53PM #1
In some countries they simply have a double mandate: 1) everyone must get health insurance, and 2) insurers have to insure anyone who asks.

Simplifies a lot of things and levels the playing field really fast when everyone has to abide by the same rules. The rules that govern the affordability aspects and cost distribution will vary, but whatever they are the economics then adapts as necessary.

Not really keen on a patchwork of different state-by-state systems. Encourages a lot of border-hopping and states getting a 'free ride' off their neighbors.
Posted 08/02/2009 01:02PM #2
Executive Weasels.

[SIZE="Small"]------------
I have several telescopes, but none are semi-APO, APO, or in anyway valuable.
[/SIZE]