Wow! No investing since 1/6/09?

Started by Lee_S, 01/20/2009 04:19AM
Posted 01/20/2009 04:19AM | Edited 01/20/2009 04:21AM Opening Post
Has everyone given up on investing? wink Things must be getting bad. Are you guys investing in jiffy corn bread mix, ramen noodles, flour, canned ravioli, ammunition, extra fishing hooks, etc.? 8O

[SIZE="Small"]------------
I have several telescopes, but none are semi-APO, APO, or in anyway valuable.
[/SIZE]
Posted 01/22/2009 03:38AM #1
Heh - maybe it's just gotten too 'boring'... or just directionless... after a dizzying bear move the market's been basically chopping sideways for 2-3 months. Maybe folks are looking for a discernable trend to get chatter going again?
Posted 01/28/2009 06:25PM #2
Lee Spain said:

Has everyone given up on investing? wink Things must be getting bad. Are you guys investing in jiffy corn bread mix, ramen noodles, flour, canned ravioli, ammunition, extra fishing hooks, etc.? 8O

Precious metals deflated about the same time as the stock/bond market last fall, and spent a few months chopping sideways. But the last week or two it seems to be heading consistently up. Folks who buy personal-storage metals are a different type than the ones who trade paper money for paper (or electronic-recorded) stocks/bonds. But one might suspect that the type of person who invests in metals has decided that they are printing SO MUCH MONEY, that inflation will make money more worthless than metals?

A shame the metals price dip was so short-term, because I'm too conservative to buy ANYTHING except at fire-sale prices. And too conservative to 'bet the farm' putting a lot of money on one thing. Prices have risen enough that it's no longer a no-brainer to buy metals at this moment. More of a gamble, but still better prices than the last couple of years. The last few years prices were so high I didn't buy any metals at all. At least metals prices haven't yet recovered up to the "You've got to be kidding" range.

On modest metals purchased last fall, I could convert it back to cash at about a 20 percent profit right now. Not bad for holding a couple of months. Of course it would be foolish to convert it back to dollars unless one needed dollars to spend RIGHT NOW. And of course the price of the metals could fall thru the floor tomorrow. Aint no sure thang.

I have a couple thousand rounds of ammo, but that is another possible no-brainer investment to think about. Haven't checked availability recently, but seems a no-brainer that ammo ain't gonna get cheaper. Maybe a sure thang to invest in the metals brass, lead, copper, conveniently bundled in those little cylindrical packages with the tasty nitrate nougat (grin).