My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Dying Thoughts from an Atheist

Started by RussCarroll, 12/16/2011 10:33AM
Posted 12/16/2011 10:33AM | Edited 12/16/2011 10:35AM Opening Post
http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/2012/01/hitchens-201201

This is Christopher Hitchens final article, published Dec 7 of this year. He is an excellent writer and conveys to a degree possible the horror of dying of cancer. I felt very sad for him reading this article. Aside from the physical pain of his treatment and disease, there is a dark hopelessness that permeates this article in that the end for him was truly the end in his mind. This is not only a commentary on the lost IMO, but the problem of advancements in medical science that are basically torture and for little real purpose. Prolonging his life in the manner in which it was seems puzzling at best and maybe even inhumane at worst. Only Chris knows that for certain. He clearly was not a man at peace.

I've come close to death twice so far. Both times, I was truly excited to realize that it would not be long before I would be in the presence of the Lord. This did not always comfort me during times of great physical pain, but I do know that my joy permeated most of my communication at the time.

You have no idea what a comfort it was to know with confidence that one statement i told my wife before going into open-heart surgery was true "I do love you so, and I'm ready, either way. No matter what, I'll see you soon." Those same thoughts were expressed to God Himself shortly after that.

Posted 12/16/2011 03:51PM #1

Russ Carroll said:

http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/2012/01/hitchens-201201

This is Christopher Hitchens final article, published Dec 7 of this year. He is an excellent writer and conveys to a degree possible the horror of dying of cancer. I felt very sad for him reading this article. Aside from the physical pain of his treatment and disease, there is a dark hopelessness that permeates this article in that the end for him was truly the end in his mind. This is not only a commentary on the lost IMO, but the problem of advancements in medical science that are basically torture and for little real purpose. Prolonging his life in the manner in which it was seems puzzling at best and maybe even inhumane at worst. Only Chris knows that for certain. He clearly was not a man at peace.

I've come close to death twice so far. Both times, I was truly excited to realize that it would not be long before I would be in the presence of the Lord. This did not always comfort me during times of great physical pain, but I do know that my joy permeated most of my communication at the time.

You have no idea what a comfort it was to know with confidence that one statement i told my wife before going into open-heart surgery was true "I do love you so, and I'm ready, either way. No matter what, I'll see you soon." Those same thoughts were expressed to God Himself shortly after that.

Super post....

Eternity is a long time to be wrong.....so accept Jesus as your Savior.