Assault weapon rational?

Started by tomdisco, 01/15/2016 04:24PM
Posted 01/15/2016 04:24PM Opening Post
No matter what your personal views may be on assault weapon ownership, have you ever wondered about the real likely reason anybody would want to own an assault weapon? Yes, the owners or prospective owners of such weapons will quote their constitutional right to gun ownership and their right to defend themselves in general but I think there is an elephant in room that nobody wants to talk about.
As amateur astronomers, most of us are fully aware that a coronal mass ejection on a scale that occurred in the 1800 hundreds aimed directly at us would today literally shut down our electrical grid for 2-4 years, depending upon how long it took to replace the super sized transformers that would be inevitably blown out. There are any number of other possible scenarios that might lead to a dystopian society of haves and have-nots struggling simply to survive. The former TV series "Revolution" might not be such a far cry from reality if we lost all power for several years. One can not diminish the effect a total loss of power would have on our society. When reduced to survival mode the worst in us will rise to the surface.
In this scenario many of the "haves" will be the ultra-conservative assault weapon carrying bully survivors and the "have-nots" will include just about anyone who is not prepared to impose their will on others with the appropriate firepower. It's sad to admit this but it's human nature. I personally think this dystopian fear is the driving force behind assault weapon ownership but that the ones who feel this way are generally too embarrassed to admit it. Let's face it. How many assault weapon owners want to admit to their neighbors that they are expendable if push comes to shove?
The point I'm trying to make is that while discussing the pros and cons of assault weapons, how about incorporating just plain honesty. Is that so hard to do?
So, what should we do in preparation for dystopia?
1. Settle for the have weapon-vs-not have weapon imbalance and live with the results.
2. Provide everybody with assault weapons and live with the results.
3. Eliminate assault weapons and live with the results.