Evening Grosbeak

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

My first drug deal

Started by RussCarroll, 04/06/2016 08:05AM
Posted 04/06/2016 08:05AM | Edited 04/06/2016 08:07AM Opening Post
So, as I mentioned, I bought the beautiful 40-acre/observatory in "dark-skies" New Mexico. How this came about is a head-shaker.

2 years ago, I bought 2 parcels in Anza, CA totaling 7 acres. My intention was to build an observatory on the acreage. For almost two years, we have had horrible seeing conditions in the SOCAL high deserts, and I got discouraged, never doing a thing to the site. I didn't really want it a some point.

I got a call from our Realtor who said "You want to sell your lots? THere's a 'bubble' in Anza". How in the heck can that be?? Anza is in the middle of nowhere in California.

The fact is I had 2 people interested in it before I had even talked to her, and a pending offer from a third.

Apparently, a new law went into effect in CA this past January defining a few areas where it is legal to grow "medical" marijuana, and my property was smack dab in the middle of one of the only ones defined.

I sold the property for almost x4 my cost cost only 2 years later. It will fund not only the purchase of the property, but a VERY nice new scope and camera to boot!

California...go figure.
Posted 04/06/2016 10:25AM | Edited 04/06/2016 10:29AM #1
Russ Carroll said:

So, as I mentioned, I bought the beautiful 40-acre/observatory in "dark-skies" New Mexico. How this came about is a head-shaker.

2 years ago, I bought 2 parcels in Anza, CA totaling 7 acres. My intention was to build an observatory on the acreage. For almost two years, we have had horrible seeing conditions in the SOCAL high deserts, and I got discouraged, never doing a thing to the site. I didn't really want it a some point.

I got a call from our Realtor who said "You want to sell your lots? THere's a 'bubble' in Anza". How in the heck can that be?? Anza is in the middle of nowhere in California.

The fact is I had 2 people interested in it before I had even talked to her, and a pending offer from a third.

Apparently, a new law went into effect in CA this past January defining a few areas where it is legal to grow "medical" marijuana, and my property was smack dab in the middle of one of the only ones defined.

I sold the property for almost x4 my cost cost only 2 years later. It will fund not only the purchase of the property, but a VERY nice new scope and camera to boot!

California...go figure.

Lucky you! I'm not really all that well versed in pot regulations, but here in CO I think they grow most of the commercial crop indoors, under electric lighting in highly guarded warehouses. There is a big one on I-70 on the way to the airport and you can smell the buds from the highway - smells kind of skunky, not at all like the "sweet" smell of burning pot that I remember from the 80s. Not that I ever partook, (seriously - I'm very smoke averse) but I wasn't a monk, and I went to plenty of parties.

In CA, they'll probably want the pot grown outside so that it can be certified organic and non-GMO!

Jim