My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Happy Thanksgiving....

Started by drachal, 11/26/2020 11:39PM
Posted 01/16/2021 06:19AM #30
Originally Posted by James Brown

One nice thing about a Big Green Egg is that it wouldn't blow over on my patio!  Some day I'll have to go to Michigan and lurk around your shop - see what's available at the deli, that sort of thing.  I just looked at the ribs on your FB page, and I'd have to say your opinion (on this topic anyway) is worth a lot!!

Jim

We have a pellet grill/smoker. They are amazing.

Have fun!

Russ
Posted 04/07/2021 07:33AM #31
Originally Posted by Greg Shaffer

I started getting aggravated at professional sports when the whole politically correct crap regarding team names started getting big.....and then when they went full politics with the kneeling crap I stopped watching pro football ever. Started watching golf and have had some of the best naps of my life as a result lol

One thing I have learned since we started up the custom outdoor kitchens business is that pellets grills are the bomb and when it comes to pellet grills this company https://www.recteq.com/RT-700-Wood-Pellet-Grill is the last word in pellet grills. If you want the best look no further.
Well, time for an update.  I really was truly and totally infatuated with the RecTeqs - except for one thing.  They need power, and my grill/smoker is situated where I would either have to do a huge trenching and cable burying project, or use a big extension cord from the house.  Yuck. 

So, in view of the fabulous looking ribs on Jim M's facebook page - smoked on a Big Green Egg, I started doing some research into Kamado Oven type grills.  I ended up with a Kamado Joe - basically a red egg.  Yumm!  I've got a couple of game hens on it right now - can't wait.  I've smoked one Boston Butt, and it was great.  The routine and not so routine grilling and roasting has been superb.  Can't wait to try a pizza at 700 degrees!

The table is my own - Ipe wood.  It weights a ton, since a wind storm destroyed  my last grill, and I am not going to let that happen again!  It matches our deck, which is behind me.

Bon appétit!  

Jim

Attached Image:

jameslbrown's attachment for post 180631
Posted 04/07/2021 07:53AM #32

Well, time for an update.  I really was truly and totally infatuated with the RecTeqs - except for one thing.  They need power, and my grill/smoker is situated where I would either have to do a huge trenching and cable burying project, or use a big extension cord from the house.  Yuck. 

So, in view of the fabulous looking ribs on Jim M's facebook page - smoked on a Big Green Egg, I started doing some research into Kamado Oven type grills.  I ended up with a Kamado Joe - basically a red egg.  Yumm!  I've got a couple of game hens on it right now - can't wait.  I've smoked one Boston Butt, and it was great.  The routine and not so routine grilling and roasting has been superb.  Can't wait to try a pizza at 700 degrees!

The table is my own - Ipe wood.  It weights a ton, since a wind storm destroyed  my last grill, and I am not going to let that happen again!  It matches our deck, which is behind me.

Bon appétit!  

Jim
Wow Jim great view and great looking grill!!
Posted 04/07/2021 08:23AM #33

Bon appétit!  

Jim
Wow! Beautiful view, just a lovely spot you have there.

It's all about the lump charcoal. I use a lot of hickory chunks, too, and some fruit woods. The temps are pretty easy to learn to set, I swear by the BBQ Guru system, but then again you need power. I'll bet a 17 aH + astro battery would run the controller and the fan just fine. LOL.

One of my favorite recipes is Simon and Garfunkel Chicken. You spatchcock a whole chicken, rub it with olive oil and season it with parsley, sage, rosemary, and thyme. Grill it over direct heat at 325º for 25 to 30 minutes a side depending how big it is. Best chicken I've ever had. Anywhere. You can season it with other rubs, too, sometimes I use JB Fatboy's Cowgirl Rub, which is my favorite commercial/store bought rub. I swear I'll light the darn thing to roast hot dogs.

Another "recipe" that is very popular in my store is simply taking rings of locally made smoked kielbasa and double smoking them for an additional three hours or so at 180º with lots of hickory wood mixed in with the lump. The folks in the neighborhood behind my store always know when I'm making it. We sometimes throw a few hot dogs if we get it on early enough for lunch. They are incredibly yummy slow cooked that way. Another thing that's easy is taking a smoked ham and double smoking it the same way, though it'd take much longer at that low of a temp so I usually kick it up to 260º or so. We did our ham that way on Easter and it was melt in your mouth good.

Can you tell I like talking about this stuff? LOL.
Posted 04/07/2021 11:01AM | Edited 04/07/2021 11:05AM #34

Bon appétit!  

Jim

That is a great setup and a great view Jim...... and I dont blame you a bit on avoiding the power issue. We just delivered and installed this one today.....Customer planned ahead and and had water, drain, gas and power all stubbed out for us on this one. He also just got his RecTec 590 but didnt have room for it and a 36" griddle as well so he kept the RecTeq on its own cart. He is considering having us build a matching cart for the RecTec alone now that we delivered this one though. He plans to give the treated wood about 30 days to dry and then stain it a darker brown color to match the fence on his property......

Attached Image:

Greg Shaffer's attachment for post 180640

20" MidnighTelescopes f/5
8" f/16 Muffoletto Achro
Meade 6" AR6 f/8.0 Achro
Celestron C11
Parallax PI250 10" F/5 Newt
Vixen FL102S,NA140SS,R200SS
80mm Stellarvue Nighthawk with WO APOupgrade lens, 90mm f/16.67 Parallax Achro
LXD75/LX200, Mini-tower, GP-DX, CG5 ASGT, LXD650, GM-8, G11, GM-100, GM-150EX, GM-200 and a Gemini G40
4" portable AP convertable 44" or 70" pier
Stellarvue M7 Alt-Az, TSL7 Pier/Tripod
12.5" f/5 MidnighTelescopes DOB Swayze optics
Monroe GA
Posted 04/07/2021 10:15PM #35
Originally Posted by Greg Shaffer

That is a great setup and a great view Jim...... and I dont blame you a bit on avoiding the power issue. We just delivered and installed this one today.....Customer planned ahead and and had water, drain, gas and power all stubbed out for us on this one. He also just got his RecTec 590 but didnt have room for it and a 36" griddle as well so he kept the RecTeq on its own cart. He is considering having us build a matching cart for the RecTec alone now that we delivered this one though. He plans to give the treated wood about 30 days to dry and then stain it a darker brown color to match the fence on his property......
Thanks for the compliments Jim, Greg, and Steven.  Greg, your "cart" is more like an entire outdoor kitchen! Very nice.  I like the corrugated metal accents a lot.  

Jim
Posted 04/08/2021 11:08PM #36

Thanks for the compliments Jim, Greg, and Steven.  Greg, your "cart" is more like an entire outdoor kitchen! Very nice.  I like the corrugated metal accents a lot.  

Jim
I would have preferred, at the very least, an Orion starblast sitting on the countertop but that's just me...