NGC2264 - Fox Fur Nebula

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

I noticed an interesting statistic in this article

Started by richartisticwoods, 09/13/2014 11:05AM
Posted 09/13/2014 11:05AM Opening Post
which proponents of raising the minimum wage never like to talk about.

http://townhall.com/columnists/thomassowell/2014/09/13/mob-rule-economics-n1888851/page/full

In 1948, the year I left home, the unemployment rate among black 16-year-olds and 17-year-olds was 9.4 percent, slightly lower than that for white kids the same ages, which was 10.2 percent.

So what happened? How come the unemployment rate for black kids is now 4 to 5 times that rate? Could it be that those who want to promote this living wage stuff have caused employers to cut the number of workers to make up the money losses they will see when they are forced by gov't to raise those wages?

Another interesting point he touches on but doesn't go into much detail about is the push from labor unions to have gov't pass laws to increase the min. wage, when their workers already make far more than that wage. Gee I wonder why would that be? wink

Yes, leave it to do-good politicians to screw things up every time they get involved..
Posted 09/13/2014 02:22PM #1
Richard Davis said:

Another interesting point he touches on but doesn't go into much detail about is the push from labor unions to have gov't pass laws to increase the min. wage, when their workers already make far more than that wage. Gee I wonder why would that be? wink

Yeah he doesn't mention what I think is the primary reason: a bunch of the public sector worker unions like SEIU index their union base wage to a fixed level above the minimum wage, so they automatically get higher wages and more dues when the minimum wage goes up even though they aren't paid minimum wage.
Posted 09/13/2014 03:44PM #2
Richard Davis said:

which proponents of raising the minimum wage never like to talk about.

http://townhall.com/columnists/thomassowell/2014/09/13/mob-rule-economics-n1888851/page/full

In 1948, the year I left home, the unemployment rate among black 16-year-olds and 17-year-olds was 9.4 percent, slightly lower than that for white kids the same ages, which was 10.2 percent.

So what happened? How come the unemployment rate for black kids is now 4 to 5 times that rate? Could it be that those who want to promote this living wage stuff have caused employers to cut the number of workers to make up the money losses they will see when they are forced by gov't to raise those wages?

Yes, leave it to do-good politicians to screw things up every time they get involved..

You believe anything you read as long as it supports your racist rhetoric...

It is what it is...