Major Corporations & Business Groups Oppose Texas Voting Law

Started by Rod Kaufman, 05/05/2021 03:30AM
Posted 05/05/2021 03:30AM Opening Post
Microsoft and American airlines, to name just a few...
https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/551781-major-corporations-business-groups-come-out-against-texas-voting-law
But, just like in Georgia, I'm sure if they'd just read the law, they'd see they're all just mistaken about the whole thing, right?
Posted 05/05/2021 10:41PM #1
Originally Posted by Rod Kaufman
Microsoft and American airlines, to name just a few...
https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/551781-major-corporations-business-groups-come-out-against-texas-voting-law
But, just like in Georgia, I'm sure if they'd just read the law, they'd see they're all just mistaken about the whole thing, right?
Hi Rod:

I have not read the TX law - I am curious what James thinks. 

Still, Rod, one must have been born yesterday to not acknowledge that Microsoft and American are simply bowing to social pressure.   The merits of these laws have absolutely nothing to do with the business calculus.  (Specifically whether the laws are objectively reasonable or if they do in fact restrict minority voting.)

The businesses will predict the impact of one political position on their bottom line and proceed accordingly.  In this instance the regular media and social media pressure against these laws in enormous.  Is it justified?  I don't know and to the business it does not matter.  The business's bottom line matters.  It's the American way.  It's what I want the businesses in my portfolio to do.  

Jim
Posted 05/06/2021 03:16AM #2
Originally Posted by James Brown

Hi Rod:

Still, Rod, one must have been born yesterday to not acknowledge that Microsoft and American are simply bowing to social pressure.   The merits of these laws have absolutely nothing to do with the business calculus.  (Specifically whether the laws are objectively reasonable or if they do in fact restrict minority voting.)

The businesses will predict the impact of one political position on their bottom line and proceed accordingly.  In this instance the regular media and social media pressure against these laws in enormous.  Is it justified?  I don't know and to the business it does not matter.  The business's bottom line matters.  It's the American way.  It's what I want the businesses in my portfolio to do.  

Jim
I'm curious what James thinks, too.
You're correct in stating, "The merits of these laws have absolutely nothing to do with the business calculus." The companies opposing them are merely being social responsible in doing so...
Posted 05/06/2021 08:11AM #3
Originally Posted by James Brown

Hi Rod:

Jim

It's just political posturing, in my humble opinion. The Texas Republicans pull this kind of grand-standing every time an election is near, or they need to raise money. In short, it's red meat for their constituents, but most of us doubt it will ever make it out of the legislature. They are also pushing a permitless carry law right now too. In short, almost any adult would be able to conceal carry without any permit, training, or license. Only the true gun-nuts think this would be a good idea, and most law enforcement doesn't support it. It's just more of the Republican outrage machine generating stuff for their constituents to be outraged about so they can monetize them.  You would think that one of these days, they would catch on to the scam, but it never happens.
Posted 05/06/2021 11:18PM #4
Originally Posted by James Lacey

It's just political posturing, in my humble opinion. The Texas Republicans pull this kind of grand-standing every time an election is near, or they need to raise money. In short, it's red meat for their constituents, but most of us doubt it will ever make it out of the legislature. They are also pushing a permitless carry law right now too. In short, almost any adult would be able to conceal carry without any permit, training, or license. Only the true gun-nuts think this would be a good idea, and most law enforcement doesn't support it. It's just more of the Republican outrage machine generating stuff for their constituents to be outraged about so they can monetize them.  You would think that one of these days, they would catch on to the scam, but it never happens.
Well, with all due respect, I think you're wrong. The Texas senate just passed the nutzoid gun bill and now it goes to the house where a similar bill passed last year. I believe the same will happen with regards to the election bill. The companies that oppose the latter undoubtedly had their legal teams review it while their execs believe there's enough Republican support to push it through. You'll likely be having a Republican poll watcher, armed with a gun and a camera, "documenting" your vote...
Posted 05/07/2021 08:25AM #5
Originally Posted by Rod Kaufman

Well, with all due respect, I think you're wrong. 

Possibly. But, we've seen this kind of right-wing-nuttery out of the Texas Republicans too many times. Keep in mind, the only reason the bill made it out of the Senate is that our lovely Lt. Governor Dan Patrick packed the Senate Committee with supporters of the bill. Also, keep in mind that the way things work in Texas is that the bill has to ping-pong back and forth between the Senate and the House until both legislatures pass it with agreed-upon language and amendments. So, as I said, my guess is the bill gets stuck in the House Committee or ping-pongs back and forth and dies. It's utterly amazing how much time our government wastes on pointless legislation like this. They are also considering a  fetal heart-beat law that would ban abortion at six weeks, even though it's clearly unconstitutional and would never stand up to a federal challenge. Such a waste of time and effort when there are so many other things that need to be fixed.