Religious schools now can be funded.....

Started by doublestargeezer, 06/22/2022 10:31PM
Posted 06/22/2022 10:31PM | Edited 06/22/2022 10:56PM Opening Post
Where's your church-state separation and no establishment of a religion concept going?   Is this what the framers intended?

https://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Justice/2022/0621/Supreme-Court-ruling-Maine-s-religious-schools-can-get-public-money

Another step towards Gilead.  

"Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition, to wit: There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect."

and  the mantra behind every Republican idea:

We can tell you what to do.
But
You can't tell us what to do.

Good luck.

Dave

Attached Image:

doublestargeezer's attachment for post 190566
Posted 06/22/2022 11:21PM #1
David, It's my understanding that Maine was allowing vouchers for private schools, but wanted to exclude religious private schools. I believe that's the point Roberts is making.

Chief Justice John Roberts wrote for a conservative majority that the Maine program violates the Constitution’s protections for religious freedoms.

“Maine’s ‘nonsectarian’ requirement for its otherwise generally available tuition assistance payments violates the Free Exercise Clause of the First Amendment. Regardless of how the benefit and restriction are described, the program operates to identify and exclude otherwise eligible schools on the basis of their religious exercise,” Mr. Roberts wrote.

Darian R.
Posted 06/23/2022 12:07AM #2
Now the Cons can pay for that, too...
Posted 06/23/2022 01:49AM #3
Originally Posted by Darian Rachal
David, It's my understanding that Maine was allowing vouchers for private schools, but wanted to exclude religious private schools. I believe that's the point Roberts is making.

Chief Justice John Roberts wrote for a conservative majority that the Maine program violates the Constitution’s protections for religious freedoms.

“Maine’s ‘nonsectarian’ requirement for its otherwise generally available tuition assistance payments violates the Free Exercise Clause of the First Amendment. Regardless of how the benefit and restriction are described, the program operates to identify and exclude otherwise eligible schools on the basis of their religious exercise,” Mr. Roberts wrote.
Hi Darian:   Great post.  You summed it up nicely.  

David:  I expect that you oppose school vouchers of any sort?  Are they a thing in Canada?  People can oppose or support vouchers, charters and other public-funded school choice.  Lots of people on both sides of this issue.  Either way it seems tough to argue that one sort of private school (secular) gets the money and another sort of private school (religious) does not.

Jim 
Posted 06/23/2022 02:30AM #4
Voucher schools have not yet occurred here although the various provinces with conservative governments are eyeing the concept carefully with the full support of the Christian School supporters, of course.  

Currently, if you want a religious school here - Christian, Muslim or what-have-you or a posh 'private' school for the well-to-do then you get $0 from the government and tuition fees have to carry 100% of the cost of the school. 

And yet we have a fully publicly  funded CAtholic school system here which seems like favoritism from the point of view of all the other religions... and from me, too...  Religious based schools, without regard to what religion, shouldn't get one dime of taxpayer money....

Dave