Image of the day

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

The Constitution - A Quick Question

Started by richartisticwoods, 10/14/2014 07:46AM
Posted 10/14/2014 07:46AM Opening Post
While listening to the radio in the background as I was working this morning, I heard a statistic that blew me away. I really don't know why it blew me away (since nothing about the state of schools in this nation should shock anyone), however it made me think about something. We require the potential citizens of this nation to take a test so that they can become official members of these United States. I've taken the test myself when it has been offered online and remember that it was fairly straightforward, and wasn't a difficult test.

Now, I only heard the very end of a conversation whereby the guest stated the percentages of proficiency at various levels of education for our children. I heard the guest give out the 8th grade marks, and the 12th grade marks. I didn't catch what the numbers were for the 8th graders however I did hear that for 12th graders only 12% of them in high schools across the nation met the proficiency level for United States History..

So I thought that since gov't loves to get involved with everything in our schools from the curriculum to the food that the kids are eating, perhaps they could have a requirement that in order to pass high school and receive a diploma, the graduating seniors, in order to be awarded those diplomas, must be able to pass at the very Minimum, the same test that the prospective citizenry are given. If the children can't pass the test, they don't receive their diplomas. They would then have to attend a summer school course that taught specifically gov't and the Constitution, what we used to call Civics when I went to school.

After all, when one turns 18 years of age in this nation, they are then eligible to vote, on arguably the most important aspects of their future lives. It would behoove them to understand the very basics of how gov't works. I'm sure we've all seen those laugh out loud man on the street segments where Jay Leno or some other nightly talk show host would venture out and ask the citizens the most basic of questions about our gov't, only to see the vast majority fail miserably. Most can't even identify where Washington D.C. is on the map of the United States. Many of these people are college age and I've seen some where they identify that they are in College and majoring in Political Science, history, or some other pertinent subject and they are totally uninformed.

Now, this would be a way to get around the idea, the UnConstitutional idea of having people be able to pass a test in order to vote, and as such perhaps the voters out in the country would be much better informed about gov't and the day to day operations of it. Also, it might just spur these burgeoning adults into taking more of an interest as to what they are voting on and the issues that affect them.

Any thoughts?
Posted 10/14/2014 09:21AM #1
Rich, In the present day, with our caliber of "public servants" and "educators", the old saying that ignorance is bliss happens to be their mantra. :S :S
Posted 10/14/2014 09:51AM #2
That is a good idea and should be the bare minimum. Now we have high school graduates who don't know what happened on 9/11, or even when it happened, able to vote for who is responsible for the security of our country.
Posted 10/14/2014 10:43PM #3
Mel Maki said:

Richard Davis said:

While listening to the radio in the background as I was working this morning, I heard a statistic that blew me away. I really don't know why it blew me away (since nothing about the state of schools in this nation should shock anyone), however it made me think about something. We require the potential citizens of this nation to take a test so that they can become official members of these United States. I've taken the test myself when it has been offered online and remember that it was fairly straightforward, and wasn't a difficult test.

Now, I only heard the very end of a conversation whereby the guest stated the percentages of proficiency at various levels of education for our children. I heard the guest give out the 8th grade marks, and the 12th grade marks. I didn't catch what the numbers were for the 8th graders however I did hear that for 12th graders only 12% of them in high schools across the nation met the proficiency level for United States History..

So I thought that since gov't loves to get involved with everything in our schools from the curriculum to the food that the kids are eating, perhaps they could have a requirement that in order to pass high school and receive a diploma, the graduating seniors, in order to be awarded those diplomas, must be able to pass at the very Minimum, the same test that the prospective citizenry are given. If the children can't pass the test, they don't receive their diplomas. They would then have to attend a summer school course that taught specifically gov't and the Constitution, what we used to call Civics when I went to school.

After all, when one turns 18 years of age in this nation, they are then eligible to vote, on arguably the most important aspects of their future lives. It would behoove them to understand the very basics of how gov't works. I'm sure we've all seen those laugh out loud man on the street segments where Jay Leno or some other nightly talk show host would venture out and ask the citizens the most basic of questions about our gov't, only to see the vast majority fail miserably. Most can't even identify where Washington D.C. is on the map of the United States. Many of these people are college age and I've seen some where they identify that they are in College and majoring in Political Science, history, or some other pertinent subject and they are totally uninformed.

Now, this would be a way to get around the idea, the UnConstitutional idea of having people be able to pass a test in order to vote, and as such perhaps the voters out in the country would be much better informed about gov't and the day to day operations of it. Also, it might just spur these burgeoning adults into taking more of an interest as to what they are voting on and the issues that affect them.

Any thoughts?

Too many people would not get their high school diplomas. It would not be fair. Besides, people can just watch the political ads and know all they need to know.

The political ads are flying fast and furious here. One of my 2 worthless Senators Mark Udall has been toughing it out here in Colorado up against Cory Gardner, and over the weekend the Denver Post made the unusual move of endorsing Gardner, the Repub. over the the Dem. Udall. They are in full panic mode and it looks like he may just unseat this Bum who is a rubber stamp for Obama. We can only hope here, but it appears that maybe the Repubs have a chance for the Senate.

Are any of the guys in your neck of the woods up for a good re-booting?