New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

I am a

Started by AstroMart, 04/07/2018 10:51PM

Poll Results:

0 Total Votes
Posted 08/19/2010 07:02PM #10
"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect" - Mark Twain
:S
Posted 08/19/2010 07:13PM #11

But he may have a statement from his stock broker in his front pocket saying he now has 2062 shares of Google stock. That single piece of paper would surely take up less room in the pocket than $1 million in folding money.

But that still doesn't mean "faith" is necessary in order to disbelieve his claim prior to being shown the proof.

And then, of course, the other shoe drops -- he offers to show you the proof, and then reveals that the piece of paper is invisible. But he's mystified as to why you *still* don't believe him.

Posted 08/19/2010 08:28PM #12
Atheism cannot exist without religion. It seems to me that it is just a bunch of people
mad at religion..
Posted 08/19/2010 08:30PM #13
"the only time I think I am wrong is when everybody else agrees with me."
Oscar Wilde
Posted 08/19/2010 11:09PM #14
christianity is the biggest scam in human history
Posted 08/20/2010 01:38PM #15
Chris Nicholl said:

David Hawkins said:

I'll take the words of Jesus Christ over Mark Twain any day.

Except that there's no way to reliably know what the words of Jesus Christ were, being as they weren't written down until 50-125 years after the fact.

And that's assuming that he's an actual person and not an amalgam of several supposed "messiahs" all running around there at about the same time.
Posted 08/20/2010 01:48PM #16
Luca Grella said:
Atheism cannot exist without religion. It seems to me that it is just a bunch of people
mad at religion..

So if religion had never been invented, all of us would be what, then?

Posted 08/20/2010 02:27PM #17
David Hawkins said:

But that still doesn't mean "faith" is necessary in order to disbelieve his claim prior to being shown the proof.

And then, of course, the other shoe drops -- he offers to show you the proof, and then reveals that the piece of paper is invisible. But he's mystified as to why you *still* don't believe him.

But if that shoe drops and he shows you the statement and you *still* don't believe what you see.....

That could only mean that there are reasonable grounds to doubt the authenticity of the statement or mistrust the veracity of the stock broker.

But the piece of paper and the stock broker are exactly what's missing here. Those things represent testable, reproducible, and independently verifiable evidence. Religion provides none of that, despite having thousands of years to come up with it.
Posted 08/22/2010 01:35PM #18
Luca Grella said:

All above choices imply faith. Atheism included.

Buddhism does not require faith nor does the Unitarian religion, one popular among early US presidents including Thomas Jefferson though he was not a member. (Reputedly because there was no Unitarian Church in Virginia)

Spirituality exists.

Jon