Register an account...

Need Help?

The UN

Started by AstroMart, 04/07/2018 10:51PM

Poll Results:

0 Total Votes
Posted 03/16/2009 10:28PM #10
steve hoff said:

I am fascinated, why/how do you equate individuals that present the virtues of individual responsibility and the actual roll of The Constitution of the United States with neo-nazis.
As I recall, the Nazis were not about individual liberty and self determination. Even "good germans" had to yield a variety of personal freedoms to the States wishes.

I guess I could have used "Ron Paul Isolationists/Reactionaries" instead of neo-nazis, but the point would have been the same. John Birchers and RP both attact ditto-heads who criticize the UN by rote without any real notion of the role or benefits of the UN. They claim the UN is hostile to the US without conceding that in many cases that hostility is well earned. The UN is not the most efficient or the most effective body, but give it credit for trying to ameliorate some of the worlds problems.
Posted 03/17/2009 02:02AM #11
Herb York said:

Kinda like the voters on the polls

Touche'
Posted 03/17/2009 01:01PM #12
BO has transfered more wealth in the last 2 months than all the last presidents in our history. I agree Bush was a huge spender and I for one didn't like it, because it put him in the same family as the tax and spend liberals. I would have thought the liberals would have embraced him in all the spending he did. You realize if you took 100% of all the income from everyone who makes $75,000. a year and above and applied it to the BO spending spree, there would not be enough to pay the debt. The Republicans and Democrats need to quit passing all these bailout giveaways and enslaving our future generations. Liberals squawk about Big Corporations, but go right ahead and bail them out. Republicans squawk about Big Government and allow the government to entrench itself deeper and deeper into our lives. It is time for all the above to pull their heads out of their butts and do what is good for our future, not their cronies. Also BO wasn't put in office by the majority of the people. Look up the numbers of popular votes. This is a Constitutional Republic, not a Democracy and that worked to his advantage this time. It worked to Bush's last time.
Posted 03/17/2009 01:57PM #13
Herb York said:

Kinda like the voters on the polls

Snork....

Seriously, how about a poll with THREE choices?
Posted 03/17/2009 02:19PM | Edited 03/17/2009 02:26PM #14
Don't be silly. We are not going to pay this as debt; we're just printing it. So lighten up. The finance crowd delighted in setting up what they thought was a perfect gordian knot of debt based profit, right up to the point where no one had enough money to fund it. Now AIG has been stupid enough to paint targets on themselves and implicate enough others to start a real feeding frenzy. They will get to watch their debt empire dissolve even as they are dragged on a tour if their own a--es. But don't worry- we aren't paying for it. Since the finance idiots managed to actually destroy most of the money in existence through their stupid schemes, we actually have to print our way out of having hyper-deflation. They did so much damage, we can't try to save money and pay off the debt without shutting everything down. I suggest you pop some corn and find a comfy seat to enjoy the show. I wonder if it is too late to start a debate on firing squads or impaling for them.

-Rich

Charlie Liggett said:

BO has transfered more wealth in the last 2 months than all the last presidents in our history. I agree Bush was a huge spender and I for one didn't like it, because it put him in the same family as the tax and spend liberals. I would have thought the liberals would have embraced him in all the spending he did. You realize if you took 100% of all the income from everyone who makes $75,000. a year and above and applied it to the BO spending spree, there would not be enough to pay the debt. The Republicans and Democrats need to quit passing all these bailout giveaways and enslaving our future generations. Liberals squawk about Big Corporations, but go right ahead and bail them out. Republicans squawk about Big Government and allow the government to entrench itself deeper and deeper into our lives. It is time for all the above to pull their heads out of their butts and do what is good for our future, not their cronies. Also BO wasn't put in office by the majority of the people. Look up the numbers of popular votes. This is a Constitutional Republic, not a Democracy and that worked to his advantage this time. It worked to Bush's last time.
Posted 03/17/2009 02:56PM #15
I know lots of UN haters. They have stupid signs like "UN Free Zone" in their yard and constantly tie up the courts near my home with frivolous cases trying to get the National Forests privatized. A lot of them belong to groups with names ending in "militia"

--------------------
My astro images...
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v287/Raven911/Astrophotos/
http://www.eye-of-the-raven.blogspot.com/

Posted 03/17/2009 04:53PM #16
Also BO wasn't put in office by the majority of the people. Look up the numbers of popular votes.

I did. You are wrong.

Obama won 52.9% of the popular vote versus 45.7% for McCain.

Joe Bergeron

Moderator, Astro-Physics Forum
Posted 03/17/2009 06:24PM #17
> Also BO wasn't put in office by the majority of the people. Look up the numbers of popular votes. This is a Constitutional Republic, not a Democracy and that worked to his advantage this time. It worked to Bush's last time. <

BO won with a lead of 7% that is HUGE historically and almost unprecedented.
On the other hand W won in 2000 by a handful of disputed votes. It has been
the slimmest win in the American history; despite that, he applied radical policies
which would have required a larger majority to support it.
USA is effectively a democray ,since the government derives its power from the people
(american that is) and is accountable to them

Posted 03/17/2009 07:21PM #18
Name calling, and labeling are the 'big guns' in the caring, one world order, peace loving group's arsenal against the 'neo' whatevers, LOL!!

Please, please keep posting, it's cloudy here.

CF
Posted 03/17/2009 07:28PM #19
We invented the UN so a hand other than ours could be seen as the final arbiter of international justice. Saying we are unhappy with it is like saying we are unhappy with the NYSE. The alternative is to give the power to someone we can't keep an eye on, or to be a global dictator like the British tried to be. Given that, we need to work past it's flaws.

-Rich

Paul McCarty said:

The UN is the least of our worries.