Jupiter (clearer) Nov 5th 2023 w/Mewlon 180c

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Answered prayer

Started by rcole_sooner, 12/14/2009 01:35PM
Posted 12/14/2009 01:35PM Opening Post

I had a very simple answered prayer this weekend. Just so one does not read on hoping for something bigger, all it is was, I made my credit card payment without late charges. I know the alternative explanations are also simple and many obviously much more important prayers go unanswered every day. Still, I feel this was not only an answered prayer, but God reminded me of a task I had forgotten to perform.

So here is the story...

This was a busy month, not even counting the holidays. My contract was awarded to a new company so we have been in the process of "changing hats". So I kind of of forgot my beginning of the month duties, which include paying off my credit card each month. I like to use the plastic to get the piddly little cash back. But to make that worth while, I can't get hit with stupid charges. Once the balance is not paid of in time, well, we all know the drill.

So this Sunday during a prayer in Bible study, the thought hit me that I had not paid my credit card off this month. My OCD took over, and I was a wreck all the way home. Nothing I could really do until Monday, as the banks only have limited weekend support. I still worried, because that is my nature.

Once I got home, I logged in to check on the situation. I prayed for it to be paid and I had forgotten, or at least give me time to pay it. I had little hope, since it is never due past the 12th of the month. But I did try to have faith, and I prayed, for if nothing else, the ability to accept the consequences.

When I got logged on, I had indeed forgot to pay off the balance this month, but the due date was not until the 15th. I felt warm and tingly all over.

It did cost me $15 for a quick payment fee, but that was much better than $39 late fee, a chunk of interest charges, and the hassle of switching plastic for a month or two.

Yes, there is a simple, non-supernatural explanation, but for me and all my "brainwashed" ways, it as an answered prayer. Very simple, but very cool. A holiday gift, that I felt needed to be shared.

==============
Russell Cole

Earth First! We'll strip mine the other planets later.
Posted 12/14/2009 03:31PM #1
Yes, there is a simple, non-supernatural explanation, but for me and all my "brainwashed" ways, it as an answered prayer. Very simple, but very cool. A holiday gift, that I felt needed to be shared.

I often "pray" to the powers that be... When things do come out the way I had hoped for, I attribute my good fortune to having properly taken care of my Karma. For me, taking care of my Karma means respecting other beings and giving of myself to those in need or just giving when I can.

But I try to save my Karma for things that are beyond my capability, I do the things like paying my Credit Card on time myself.

For example, the other morning I was walking from the bus to my office and I saw the FedEx truck parked and the most helpful FedEx driver entering the building with some packages. This seemed most auspicious, I had just cashed a check and had several 20's in my wallet. Providence had provided me with this perfect opportunity for some "Secret Santa."

The only thing lacking to make the moment perfect was a pen, I had no pen to write the cryptic Secret Santa message on a twenty but my Karma came to my aid. After checking my pockets for a pen, I looked down at the ground and there was pen, just waiting for me. I was still skeptical as it was sitting in a pool of rain water but sure enough it worked to perfection.

I wrote: "Merry Christmas, thanks for all your good work and help" and left it unsigned.

Oh, I could attribute my luck in finding that pen to my supernatural Karma but I knew that I was just lucky. Still, subconsciously believing in Karma as I do, helps me be a better person and for that, it's a handy belief.

So Russel, what have you done recently to build your store of Karma, clearly it was helpful in avoiding that late fee...

Karma is like a Horseshoe... as Nils Bohr is reputed to have said when asked if he believed in the Horseshoe he had on his office wall:

"Certainly not, but they say it works whether or not you believe it...

Jon

Posted 12/14/2009 05:07PM #2
When good things happen, you always wonder why. I mean, did I do something that deserved such fortune? Even the simple things can be nice, but still, why good things happen is a mystery! But if you asked for it, perhaps it is a prayer answered, who really knows? We all think we know, we have our beliefs and solid ground on which we stand, but do we really know?
Merry Christmas! Maybe something nice will happen to you and you can blame me for it. wink

[SIZE="Large"][/SIZE][COLOR="Blue"][/COLOR] Floyd Blue grin
Amateur Imager
Posted 12/14/2009 11:09PM | Edited 12/14/2009 11:09PM #3
I am more than happy that this has made you happy...that's THE most important thing.

I gotta say, though, I don't get it. One "answered" prayer among a million unanswered ones and its a miracle?

Mama said it best: "The Good Lord Helps Those Who Help Themselves."
;-)

Uncle Rod

Time on your hands?
Waste it with Uncle Rod's Astro Blog!

http://uncle-rods.blogspot.com/
Posted 12/18/2009 12:46PM | Edited 12/18/2009 02:43PM #4
Right after the 9/11 tragedies, I heard lots of stories of "miraculous" survival and answered prayers. A friend of my sister's who worked in the towers related her story of how God saved her by making her alarm clock malfunction the morning of the attack. She is convinced that she was saved by the hand of God. Maybe so. I could never prove it wasn't the case.
But consider this: Every morning, some 20,000 or so people went to work in the World Trade Center. Out of that number, we know that a small percentage are going to be late for work for any number of reasons, including broken alarm clocks. Any normal day, other than cursing at our alarm clock and our boss for docking our pay, we would take no special notice of being late. Then tragedy strikes, and suddenly all of those late workers become miracles! Shazam!
Which would be the most likely explanation for being saved on 9/11 by a malfunctioning alarm clock? The hand of a supernatural being who is concerned about our personal safety, or just a lucky coincidence? I think we often jump to the conclusion that the most unlikely explanation is true, because it suits our myth that the universe really is under the control of a thinking being.

http://www.johnnagnew.com
http://herps2art.wordpress.com