Scorpion and Jupiter, August 07

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Christianity and Organ Donation

Started by jameswilliamjohnson, 09/22/2012 07:28AM
Posted 09/22/2012 07:28AM Opening Post
After checking off the organ donor box after a recent visit to the DMV, I was curious as to what the views are toward organ donation with regard to religion. What are the views of the various denominations represented here?

Jim J

"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good." - Thomas Sowell
Posted 09/22/2012 08:16AM #1
Jim, Given the choice I do not understand why anyone would have any qualms about being an organ donor, unless they "think" they are going to need them in the 'afterlife'. wink

[COLOR="Blue"]Darian Rachal[/COLOR]
Posted 09/22/2012 11:47AM #2
Jim Johnson said:

After checking off the organ donor box after a recent visit to the DMV, I was curious as to what the views are toward organ donation with regard to religion. What are the views of the various denominations represented here?

Jim J

They can have it..I ain't using it any longer...besides..it's all gonna burn any way. 8)

Eternity is a long time to be wrong.....so accept Jesus as your Savior.
Posted 09/23/2012 01:02AM | Edited 09/23/2012 01:05AM #3
When I was a kid, the only thing our family would consider was burial. Cremation was not customary in the Catholic realm. Burial at sea was OK. I left the church in 1977, so a number of years have passed. Donating blood was never in question, at least in my lifetime. Now donating organs or one's body to science is perfectly acceptable.

Considering the difference my own organs could make to someone in need, I marked the back of my license. I'm considering one of two options. Burial at sea feeds the fish. Donating to science helps a med student learn.

As for needing a body in the afterlife, our bodies fall into a pretty bad state before we even leave. I doubt if they'd be of much use in a thousand years. It would be no more difficult to gather our atoms back together, but other people might be using them by then.

Deeeeep thoughts...
Steve
8)