New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Compromise

Started by NebSteve, 07/18/2011 04:27PM
Posted 07/18/2011 04:27PM | Edited 07/19/2011 06:14AM Opening Post
Hi All,
Here's one for you.

If we are a people composed of multiple religions and of course many agnostics and atheists, how then do we set up our values for the society we live in? Is it not a double standard to try and maintain our beliefs, yet accept the law of the land even though it may not match our beliefs?

I said a little about compromise regarding the cold war and knowing the use of even a single nuclear weapon could lead to the end life on earth. However there are far less dire consequences to consider in most of our lives.

These are not lines easily drawn. The two major political parties work very hard to press us into one mold or the other. Yet we are a diverse people.

We live in a society that, at least for the most part, protects our freedom to worship or not, to speak as we choose and to fall flat on our face if we fail. Is the protection of such a society an enabling factor in practicing our various faiths, and if so is it a reasonable compromise?

Thanks,
Steve
8)
Posted 07/19/2011 05:29AM #1
Hi Steve,
I'm not sure I understand all of what you are getting at, but I'll open up the topic. As a bible believing Christian, there are specific areas that may not be explicitly addressed in the scripture. In these areas, I have a liberty of conscience to make a decision. Oftentimes, the principles are there in the scripture, it's just a matter of good interpretation and prayer.

For instance, I have no problem paying my taxes, even if some of the taxes go to things that are against my faith. This is because Jesus gave the principle to "Render unto Caeser, what is Caeser's" Obviously much of the taxes that went to Caeser were for ungodly purposes, yet the Lord is in control of things. I am not personally accountable for everything the government does. My command is just to "Render unto Caeser". However, there are always going to be battles over what taxes are allowed to be used for, and what they are not.

Regarding something like the great commission to make disciples, there are enough legal means of doing so in this country that I don't have to use illegal means. However, there are always going to be battles over what is allowed and what is not. In a country like Afghanistan, I would have to break the law to live there as a Christian. That would not be sinful, because in that case, the country's laws are not lawful by God's standards.

Going to war would be up to individual conscience as well. This country allows for CO (Conscientious Objector) status if your religion prevents it. I don't have a conflict with it. If combat became mandatory then there would be many CO Christians in conflict with the law. Also, if combat become mandatory for women, then you would see even more Christians in conflict with the law, since many of us don't believe it is lawful to send women out to combat.

Maybe you can give a specific case to talk about.
Posted 07/19/2011 06:46AM #2
Steve Hollenbach said:
If we are a people composed of multiple religions and of course many agnostics and atheists, how then do we set up our values for the society we live in? Is it not a double standard to try and maintain our beliefs, yet accept the law of the land even though it may not match our beliefs?

Great question....an no easy answer I'm sure. My take is...

You compromise where you are permitted, and do not compromise where you are not permitted. So where are you permitted to compromise? IMO where the issue is not directly and physically affecting you. So take the dreaded gay marriage discussion going on in the nation. "If" my beliefs see this as sin, as long as I do not participate in the act of gay marriage then no issue for me as I am not compromising the moral foundation of my beliefs. As Christ said, "Render to Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and to God the things that are God's." So really, I don't even see much many things which other do as compromise at all. Let people practice their beliefs and culture in peace, spiritual or non-spiritual. As long as they do not force and require me to do their practices and I am free to practice and voice my beliefs, then no issue. They can stand in the open and shout their beliefs all they want, more power to them, as this is exercising their freedom. I could do the same if I wished. No harm in letting voices speak in public.

If things get near or cross the line though, where some other group or a law is "forcing" me to do something against the moral standard of my beliefs, then there should be no compromise. If one were to compromise then in effect their beliefs are not really their beliefs as they will not stand by them. So, in the gay marriage example, if a law was being proposed that would force all churches to have to conduct gay marriages, then we have just crossed the line and are forcing others to violate their beliefs. There should be no compromise by them and they should stand and refuse to follow the law if enacted.